The " I never would have gotten away with this when I was married" thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
I never would have gotten away with this when I was married...

A room dedicated to beer stuff, equipment, etc....
Fermenting bottles in the bedroom closet (never had the room when I was still married)
Over 500 empty bottle, 6 pack caddies, and boxes in my son's closet.

These are just a few of the things I never would have been allowed when I was married...

I have an all-electric HERMS indoors in my laundry room, a basement filled with carboys, kegs, buckets, grain, a grainmill, and all my stuff, four fermenters in the living room, two kegerators, two freezers, a wine chiller, two propane burners, an extra set up (for gas), hundreds of bottles, a wine cellar with 300 bottles of wine, and 9 hop plants outside.

I'm married.

I have an all-electric HERMS indoors in my laundry room, a basement filled with carboys, kegs, buckets, grain, a grainmill, and all my stuff, four fermenters in the living room, two kegerators, two freezers, a wine chiller, two propane burners, an extra set up (for gas), hundreds of bottles, a wine cellar with 300 bottles of wine, and 9 hop plants outside.

I'm married.

Still married? Lol. That is a keeper.

I'm married.

Yeah, so if that changes for any reason, let me know. I'm originally from Michigan and would consider relocating again.

Oh darn, I forgot, I'm married too. Nevermind. :ban::ban:

Dad,gave me good advice.."Marry someone smarter than you"...And i did
She picked the house she wanted.I only asked for a basement.
30x60..Space dedicated to beer.I just ignore the wash+dry crammed in the corner.

I feel sorry for those fellas with wives that restrict their brewing hobby so much...I'm only engaged, but I have lived with my fiance a while, hell I moved in to her place. She gave me a dedicated room for my fermentation freezer, keg freezer, brewing equipment (mill, pump, fermenters, kegs, etc) and all manliness. Plus I get as much storage space in the garage as I need.

Dunno what is up with the anti-homebrew women. I've told my fiance about some of the guys on here that seem to be so limited in the hobby. Her outlook is that if i am homebrewing then that means I am not out getting into trouble.

To the guys whose wives give them "dedicated" spaces:

That's not them being nice. That's just them making sure your shìt doesn't wind up in any of the rooms they care about :)

emjay said:

That's not them being nice. That's just them making sure your shìt doesn't wind up in any of the rooms they care about :)

Haha, I would agree, but that doesn't mean it stays there. And she doesn't complain when my things are left out, so i think she is a winner.

THIS! :rockin:

Even though I have a Wife who encourages perusing hobbies, I made sure I made a few stinks and messes in the kitchen before mentioning wanting to build an area in the basement for brewing. she did make one room in the basement in to a workout room and I did put together a bad ass sewing room for her.

I have a bicycle repair room and will have a brewhaus, she has her workout room and her sewing room.

My wife is extremely supportive. She buys me brew stuff all the time. As a result I've ventured into soda, wine and cider making which is what she likes. I do my best to make sure I brew at times that are not disruptive, like when she is out. I've spent a lot of time building my e-Herms and pepping for my judging exam.

Can't ask for more!

My wife helps me on brew day. Helps me on bottling day. Never complains about how much stuff I have/buy. And she doesn't even drink beer. She's a keeper.:ban:

Amen brother. Mine didn't even bat an eye when I spent ~$300 to upgrade my brew equipment and a 26g BK. And she knows that the bigger MT is next. She's put up with me for going on 24 years now. For me, saying she's a keeper is an understatement.

I have been married for over 34 years, and I don't tell my wife what to do and she don't tell me. But if I am expecting to invade the house with something, I'll ask first, as will she.
I have never been disappointed... well at least as far as my poor memory will allow me to remember... ;)

I brew in my kitchen and outdoors and ferment in my basement and I clean up
before and after I brew so as to give my wife nothing to complain about. It's working out great.

I have been married for over 34 years, and I don't tell my wife what to do and she don't tell me. But if I am expecting to invade the house with something, I'll ask first, as will she.
I have never been disappointed... well at least as far as my poor memory will allow me to remember... ;)

I brew in my kitchen and outdoors and ferment in my basement and I clean up
before and after I brew so as to give my wife nothing to complain about. It's working out great.

:off: I know but congrats on 34+ together.

Heck, mine will bottle batches of beer for me while im gone at work. She even changes the ice bottles for my swamp cooler while im gone! (But that has turned into her pushing me to get a second freezer to convert the 15 sq ft freezer into a fermentation chamber! ) I truly have a keeper. Been married 10 years in november and it keeps getting better.

1 A cannon for the yard

IMG_2865.jpg

2. A gas pump in the living room

pump.jpg

My wife helps me on brew day. Helps me on bottling day. Never complains about how much stuff I have/buy. And she doesn't even drink beer. She's a keeper.:ban:

Here's to ya bro. You sir, definitely have a keeper. :mug:

emjay said:

True in most cases (and mine).

However, my wife and I are planning to build another home in the next couple years. This will have a dedicated brew room that she originally suggested. Of course she loves my beers and supports the hobby, but definitely hates the mess it makes in other rooms and the back porch.

Fermenting bottles in the bedroom closet (never had the room when I was still married)

These are just a few of the things I never would have been allowed when I was married...

No offense, but it sounds like you just had the wrong wife...

My wife gets annoyed with the hobby, but she knows it's my hobby and doesn't meddle.

Considering my last hobby resulted in a 75 mph motorcycle crash on a racetrack, she thinks this one is a lot better!

My ex was the devils spawn. Everything was for and about her. Even with 4 kids. We divorced and I have plenty of room! My GF even went to the NHBC with me in MN a couple years ago.
She lets me be me, which took some getting used to..

When I get home I yell "Hi honey, I'm home" then I yell "It's about freaking time!". I'm sure marriage is a great institution, but it's not for everyone. The 34th anniversary of my divorce just happened, and it just keeps getting better;)
edit: No I'm not bitter, no I'm not lonely, and yes I love women (on my terms).

Congrats to all the 20+ year and the 34 year marriage. I have been engaged to my SWMBO for over a year and a half and she lets me brew, and even has my brewing supplies and ingredents cost 2x-3x as much as her stuff in the budget. Thats including football cards and other stuff I'm into. She wants to get me a lockable shed to store my smoker equipment and my turkey fryer at our apartment. Homebrewers usually marry up, I sure am!!!!

Mine gave me a 100$ gift card to my lhbs and a 100$ gift card to home depot to build a collar for my chest freezer for fathers day....Never asked for any brew related fathers day gift...
Keeper?

Lol. Poor guy.

You must have married the wrong person. I "get away" with this stuff constantly and the wife doesn't mind one bit.

I've had fementation buckets blow the lid on the granite kitchen counter w/ nary a peep except for "just please clean it up sometime after you get home from work." Been a keeper for 8 years and counting.

Back