Brewing outside in cold weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
Help i cant see!
I brewed outside for the first time yesterday. Only problem is that it was about 20f outside and the steam off my keggle was amazing ... I couldent see my beer it was like standing in a cloud! what do you do when its cold out?

I need some kick*ss beer goggles or something.

Move along, there's nothing to see here.... during the boil, you don't need to see much, just where to throw in the hops. As soon as you start chilling, the steam disapates.

Only problem I have in the cold is judging the boil vigor. I don't want to simmer and I don't want it jumping out of the pot. I had no way way to tell when I can't see the top of the wort.

Linc

lol... you're boiling sugar water... not much to see. You should be able to tell well enough what the boil is like. Ive brewed outside in sub 20F and I had no problems.

Only problem I have in the cold is judging the boil vigor. I don't want to simmer and I don't want it jumping out of the pot. I had no way way to tell when I can't see the top of the wort.

Linc
212 degrees F is all you need. That's the only way i can tell if i have a boil in cold weather

Back