Rookie Yeast Starter screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmurdock

Reaction score
So I got my flask two days ago after returning home from day drinking. I decided to make my starter right then. So I didn't let my yeast warm up to pitching temp, may not have cleaned/sterilized properly and probably didn't boil long enough. Sloppy drunk. I did some aeration and keep doing it occasionally but all that happen for 36 hours was the yeast would settle out immediately and then I think a little started going into suspension and fermenting. However I didn't really know how weird a yeast starter would smell and not being experienced I stood up, got stressed, and did not have a homebrew. I thought everything combined that the extremely yeasty and slightly sour smell was an infected starter due to a shocked yeast at pitching. Well I had another packet of liquid yeast that would work for my upcoming beer so I pitched out my starter, carefully brewed a new batch, and pitched a new yeast pack into a flask. So this was a smack pack that was well inflated and lite off like a champ. Turns out it smells exactly like the old batch. So lesson learned is that yeast in a starter smells kinda sour and like bad yeasty bread. Also sit back, relax, and have a homebrew.

Seperate note - the stir plate is on the way

Back