growth tip and burrs...dead!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I planted 3 cascade rhizomes this year. One of the bines grew to about 9' and was kicking off lots of side arms and burr's. Last week i noticed the growth tip was looking kind of sickly. Well within a few day it fell off. Now all the burr's about half way up the bine have wilted and fell off also. The lower half of the bine still looks healthy(for now).
Has any one else had this problem or know what would cause this.
the rest of my bines are doing great.

Hard to say. Is it planted on a mound or on ground level? Hows your watering/rain doing? When did u fertilize the soil last? Usually you notice the pest or fungi if it is above the root. So i am thinking something is wrong with the root.

It is planted at ground level on a hill side. I have been watering them every other day, and fertilizing once a week with miracle grow. The bine looks healthy up to about 6' then thats where the problem is. Also the other bines from the same rhizome look great.

What does the instructions say on your fertilizer on feeding intervals? Miracle Grow has many different types of fertilizers. Is your soil clay?

Hmmm. If it is a clay soil. There maybe a drainage issue. Everything i plant in my area has to be in mounds or raised beds due to poor drainage ( clay soil where i live). Maybe someone can suggest a product. If your soil drains well. Ignore what i said. I would go with out feeding them for awhile and maybe buy some bloodmeal or ironite too. Could be a mineral issue too.

Thanks for the suggestions Crito. If this was an issue with all my plants i would think its a mineral problem, but it is only effecting one bine out of 10 that i have.
Again thanks for the suggestions.

Are you certain that there is no mechanical damage at the bottom of the affected bine? The symptoms you have sound like water stress, but if the other bines off of the same rhizome are ok then it is likely not related to root health. I would suspect something wrong near the soil line.

If there is no mechanical damage then to determine where the problem is occuring, you can take a knife and make a vertical slice (imagine you are whittling or carving the stem) into the vascular area of the plant, the cut should be around 1" long and go about 1/4-1/2" into the stem. Inside the cut, if you see green, then that section is healthy, but if you see brown then that part of the plant is dead. Make several cuts starting from the bottom, moving upwards to the top, and see if there is a difference in the stem.

There is another bine coming out of the same rhizome and it is doing just fine.
The leaves on the effected bine look healthy also. The bine itself looks healthy, its just the top 3' or so that lost burrs. There are burrs and cones forming the rest of the way down the bine.

If the rest of the bine is still healthy I suspect a kink or some kind of damage to the bine. Although as mentioned already, water stress will cause the tips and burrs to brown out and die as well. And FWIW, I think you are over doing it on the fertilizer for first year rhizomes. Save the miricale grow for next year when the plants really take off.

I did cut back with the fertilizer. I haven't used it in a couple weeks. Thats when the problem started.

Back