Escanaba in da Moonlight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheep_Dog

Reaction score
For all the northern brewers I know you have had to see this movie, if not your missing out!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMpeIhiPj5M]YouTube - Escanaba in da Moonlight (part 1)[/ame]

Part #2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GTsGfh_PTA]YouTube - Escanaba in da Moonlight (part 2)[/ame]

Part #3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTbj-Sh-T0s]YouTube - Escanaba in da Moonlight (part 3)[/ame]

I went to high school in Escanaba. There are a few scenes I am in as well with large group shots. When Jeff Danielles had the movie release, I got to meet him and take a picture with him at it. It was back in 1998:
143329972_l.jpg

Also, in the beginning he is driving off to deer camp down the street and everyone stares at him. He passes Ernies Party store and a woman drops her groceries. I bought booze from Ernies with a fake ID at the age of 17 :)

Opening day at Sodie Deer Camp. It's like Christmas, but with Guns!!!!!

My Shebby took a ship!!

Great movie, but I think that unless you "get it" you won't get it. It's def a strange beast no matter how you slice it. Took my about 3 tries before I think I really understand the point. Good thing is, I enjoyed it each time I watched it. In fact, I'm late this year to watch it again!

I watched ALL of it on youtube (I think I have to go and buy it now). I showed one clip to a friend, and they're like "How can you understand what they're saying!?!?". You can't?!?!?

I watched ALL of it on youtube (I think I have to go and buy it now). I showed one clip to a friend, and they're like "How can you understand what they're saying!?!?". You can't?!?!?

Wat duya mean you can't unnerstand? Cripes der hey. It's English we speak in da UP doncha know. You betcha.

(It kind of sounds like the accent in Fargo but with more D's. You know- dis, dere, dos, dem- most people think those words start with "th")

What's funny is to go to the UP and think, well, nobody sounds like that up here! And then you actually meet one or two who do. I suppose I just usually don't go far enough west.

What's funny is to go to the UP and think, well, nobody sounds like that up here! And then you actually meet one or two who do. I suppose I just usually don't go far enough west.

I agree ... I actually spend most of my time in the central and western yoop, and never hear anyone with accents that thick.

Tandem, not trying to hijack- but have you ever noticed after watching a good movie like this, you find yourself walking away with a little bit of that accent for awhile? IE Boondock Saints- Yea, another kick @ss movie in my book.

I agree ... I actually spend most of my time in the central and western yoop, and never hear anyone with accents that thick.

Actually, it's way more common in the north, especially in the Copper Country. It's a mix of old Finlanders up there, and the accent is very noticeable. Even a little kid will talk like that.

Ask Edwort- I don't have an accent at all!

Actually, it's way more common in the north, especially in the Copper Country. It's a mix of old Finlanders up there, and the accent is very noticeable. Even a little kid will talk like that.

Ah no, no accent at all, don'tcha know. :D

That's probably the only Jeff Daniels movie that I don't like. I think he is an awesome actor, and most of his work is incredible, but that flick sucked. I didn't laugh once during the whole thing.

That's probably the only Jeff Daniels movie that I don't like. I think he is an awesome actor, and most of his work is incredible, but that flick sucked. I didn't laugh once during the whole thing.

You sir, clearly have not spent enough time at deer camp.

Still don't hear it that thick though ... and I've spent a lot of time at deer camp (nort of marquette) surrounded by finns.

I didn't watch the film all the way thru, but did any one have a wolf/north woods mural painted on their garage? Don't know why it is, but them finns love murals on their garage (craa-tch, yaknow whereday keep der imp-a-las).

My aunt and cousins live/lived in Negaunee as long as I can remember. Aunt taught at Negaunee Public. The Miners. *chuckle*

Go to camp and take a sauna, eh?

Was awesome place to take spring break with girls from downstate. Traditional sauna with cases of beer and naught but a smile from ear to ear. :D

I love the UP!

It's one of my favorite Daniels movies. I think he's a very good actor, but a few of his I'm not a fan of. This one was mostly just for fun. Sort of a guys camp for making a movie.

It's certainly not his dumbest movie ever.

Back