My Five Year Plan mead label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerro

Reaction score
As you may have read in the mead forums I am currently brewing up a small batch of a mead that will age for five years. It will be called "Het Vijfjarenplan" Which is Dutch for "The Five Year Plan" (Seeing s how I'm Dutch an' all...) The "1" in the bottom is to show what version of my five-year meads this is, the next version will have a 2 and so on.

Here's my first try, I made it using MS-paint since I don't have photoshop on this computer. I'm going to remake it in slightly higher resolution using a slightly more authentic font.

Soviet1metjaartallenentekst3jpeg.jpg

So?

that image is f'ing sweet, and your patience is commendable! dont think i could last 5 years to try anything. i look forward to seeing it with the more 'authentic' font, because i think that is the weak point of this label so far.

You do realize I didn't make the original picture using paint right? The original picture was made in the USSR in 1948 using, well... actual paint.

I removed the old dates and some communist bullsh!t at the bottom and added my own :)

Still a lot of work but not nearly as much :)

You do realize I didn't make the original picture using paint right? The original picture was made in the USSR in 1948 using, well... actual paint.

I removed the old dates and some communist bullsh!t at the bottom and added my own :)

Still a lot of work but not nearly as much :)

That is impressive!! I, as well, look forward to see it with a new font. If you do update the font, please post it here!

I am Dutch and the concept of a five-year plan is a Soviet Russian thing.

Hence the soviet rethorics (it goes with the name) and the Dutch name. Why would I give it a russian or English name? I'm going to look for a font that imitates Cyrillic to give it a more Russian note.

I am Dutch and the concept of a five-year plan is a Soviet Russian thing.

Hence the soviet rethorics (it goes with the name) and the Dutch name. Why would I give it a russian or English name? I'm going to look for a font that imitates Cyrillic to give it a more Russian note.

I just meant call it 5 yr plan but in russian instead of dutch that way there is unity within the label.

Its would be like calling it Killians Irish Red but putting an American flag on it, just doesnt make sense

Ok so why not have a Dutch image on it then? Then its all Dutch. Point is it doesn't make sense to use 1 language and then a picture thats blatanly from a different country.

Because we Dutch have always been capitalists... And we don't use five year plans... Which Russians did do since ~1930...

It's a theme...

Thats fine but it still doesnt make sense. Its like making an American Pale Ale and then putting a Mexican flag on the label or a Mexican Cerveza and putting an American flag on the label. The two dont go together and it doesnt make sense.

Whatever floats your boat man... If you don't want to read or you just don't get it, well... Whatever.

The end of the Aztec Calendar is 2012 :)

Actually, Dec 21, 2012 is the last day of the Mayan calendar...;)...the Winter Soltice...

In truth it's not REALLY the last day of the Earth, but a phase. Some believe the Earth will tilt on it's axis (as it has in the past). Evidence being ferns in the Artic ice, etc.

If you are really into reading up on all the theories here's a link:

http://www.greatdreams.com/2012.htm

Mayans, sneaky bastards! Making me think it's a whole different calendar

To be precise the calendar will enter a new precession around it's orbital plane axis. You might know that the axis around which earth rotates is not quite at a right angle with the plane of the solar system. We precess around it in a cycle that takes -if I'm not mistaken- 27000 years or so.

Anyway, here's a few of the updated versions I promised:
HetVijfjarenplan1.jpg

HetVijfjarenplan2.jpg

HetVijfjarenplan3.jpg

HetVijfjarenplan4.jpg

I personally prefer the last one since it looks the most "Russian"

My Russian is a bit rusty, but, here's some comments (take 'em or leave 'em):

It looks like you used a cyrillic font or some variant (maybe some form of Eastern European), but when you used "HET" you actually spelled (phonetically) "nyet" translated as "no" in Russian. Probably not your intent, but I thought you'd want to know. The other word isn't Russian they don't have a "J" symbol.

As for the picture, very propaganistic, militaristic, communist, and I'd say just a slight bit creepy - which is why it is so intriguing. It would also look great on a Baltic Porter or RIS.

i also thought it weird that the image was russian and the title was dutch. just throwing that in the wishing well *what? that doesnt make any sense*

The original subtext was something like "Hail our glorious soviet army" :)

If I use an actual Russian translation there are going to be two problems,
1. Nobody here will understand the text and I'll have to explain it again and again
2. The Russian phrase "пятилетка" looks a bit short to be spanning the width of my label.

If you're friends speak dutch, write it in Dutch. It would be no different than any of us using a different nation style but writing it so we could read it. If you're going for the full effect, I tihnk it should be written in Russian, regardless of readability. You could always add a back label in Dutch so you and yours could read information about it.

Meh, mead really doesn't improve as much as people claim it does. It tasted surprisingly watery. I got rid of it and had a beer instead.

Back