Professional Chef will give recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrews

Reaction score
Anyone interested in cooking something that has been intimidating you?... Or maybe you just haven't gotten one of your recipe's exactly right yet?

I'll help if I can. Don't throw me any nutty curveballs though!! I can't guarantee a response if I'm not confident I can help you... but in most cases, I should be able to.

Can provide beer pairing advice as well. Let me know what you think first before asking.

My first Saturday off in awhile and still missing the kitchen!! This thread will be short-lived, not on-going, but I have some time to kill for now.

No matter how much research I do, or how many techniques I try, I cannot manage to cook an edible artichoke! No food has intimidated me in the kitchen like artichokes... I just can't get it.

Tips, tricks, advice?

Thanks!!

No matter how much research I do, or how many techniques I try, I cannot manage to cook an edible artichoke! No food has intimidated me in the kitchen like artichokes... I just can't get it.

Tips, tricks, advice?

Thanks!!

Artichokes can be prepared countless ways. Baked in a casserole with garlic, cream, and bubbling cheese - Artichokes Francaise - Blanched hearts, A'la Grecque style for a nice salad and the Leaves, for dipping in a homemade lemon mayo. You really have a lot of options.

Could you be more specific with "how" you would like to incorporate them into your dinner? If so, I can provide an easy recipe as well as the best way to clean an artichoke.

I brewed an American Honey Blonde Ale, and would like pairing suggestions....

For reference, the recipe for the Blonde included 2-row, white wheat malt, caramel 20, Tettnang for bittering, Saaz for aroma, and US-05 for yeast. Then a pound of orange blossom honey was added in secondary, and it kicked up fermentation again. Turned out delicious, and just begging for something to complement the interplay between the spiciness of the saaz and the citrus-floral notes of the honey.

I brewed an American Honey Blonde Ale, and would like pairing suggestions...

Pad Thai, Sushi, Asian Vegetable Spring Rolls

American Blonde ales add a subtle fruity kick. They're simple, crisp and clean, with a delicately sweet malt backbone. They can hold their own against foods like these without overwhelming them.

Pizza dough + pizza sauce.

Some people make incredible pizzas. Nice thin crust, super-fresh taste, fluffy and light yet somewhat supportive. Then their sauce is aamzing. Just the right amount of tomato flavour, spices, and herbs. I can make both of these things -okay-, but I need something EXCELLENT.

Help me! I'm thinking the process might be mroe important than the ingredients - but I don't know...

Pizza dough + pizza sauce.

Some people make incredible pizzas. Nice thin crust, super-fresh taste, fluffy and light yet somewhat supportive. Then their sauce is aamzing. Just the right amount of tomato flavour, spices, and herbs. I can make both of these things -okay-, but I need something EXCELLENT.

Help me! I'm thinking the process might be mroe important than the ingredients - but I don't know...

Someone else messaged me this question. I directed them to Seriouseats.com - They have an entire section on Pizza recipes, with illustrations, recipes, tips, etc. They are very dedicated to getting everything exactly right. Check it out. Everything I would tell you is already covered there with more simplicity and science.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/the_pizza_lab/?ref=fresh

How do you keep venison from drying out? I really want to make a good venison roast, chili, or steak, but I can't seem to keep it from getting dry. I've pretty much ruled out slow/crock-pot cooking, because even if I cover the meat in liquid it still dries out since it's so lean.

Any suggestions?

In addition to being very lean, venison is also a very gamey meat. What happens when you cook it past medium rare, is that gameyness becomes even more concentrated, which is very off-putting for some people. That is not to say it won't work in a very flavorful hunter's stew when the meat is slow braised for hours until it melts apart in your mouth... but my preferred method is to marinate small medallions, season, then sear them in a very, very hot cast iron or black steel pan with some oil. Cook briefly until you get a nice sear, check the doneness with your finger, then flip and cook for 30 seconds more. Turn off the heat and baste with butter, fresh thyme, and a smashed garlic clove. Top with finishing salt and a nice sauce. This is an easy one pan method that does not require your oven. Bold ingredients like red wine, juniper, thyme, garlic, rosemary, etc. work great with venison.

Here's a slightly different approach with a thicker cut:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not to say it won't work in a very flavorful hunter's stew when the meat is slow braised for hours until it melts apart in your mouth...

Every time I try this, it ends up dry. Do you have any suggestions for techniques?

Artichokes can be prepared countless ways. Baked in a casserole with garlic, cream, and bubbling cheese - Artichokes Francaise - Blanched hearts, A'la Grecque style for a nice salad and the Leaves, for dipping in a homemade lemon mayo. You really have a lot of options.

Could you be more specific with "how" you would like to incorporate them into your dinner? If so, I can provide an easy recipe as well as the best way to clean an artichoke.

Ultimately, I'd like to know how to get them generically useable... blanched, baked, boiled, grilled.... tender, edible on their own, artichokes.

BUT... that "Baked in a casserole with garlic, cream, and bubbling cheese" you mentioned sounds fantastic. So, I'd be more than happy to try that recipe.

Will respond to the artichoke and braising question later tonight with detailed instructions. However, I'm unsure about the pretzels question since bread making is a very intricate artform. There is an entire program for bread baking at culinary school that is separate from the main program. I will try to find the most I can on the topic, but don't expect magic. I'm sure I can whip up a very basic recipe though if that's all you want.

Tips, tricks, advice?

Thanks!!

Not a chef & I don't play one on TV either, but grilled artichokes are awesome. Use a wood/charcoal grill or smoke with chips on a gas grill -- way good.

Yeah, they should be great with a nice marinade or basting sauce - butter, lemon juice, olive oil, smashed garlic, and salt if you wanted to keep it simple.

The casserole/dip I mentioned earlier is great. I'll get you that recipe.

Every time I try this, it ends up dry. Do you have any suggestions for techniques?

This is the venison stew I make...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1652,151169-251195,00.html

I use whatever oil I have on hand for browning (instead of crisco) and I usually put the flour and seasoned salt (or creole seasoning) in a ziplock bag and toss the venison cubes in, give it a good shake and they're ready to go. I just add the extra flour at the end of the browning to thicken. I do the pressure cooker variety and it has always turned out perfect.

For the venison braise (fall apart tender)... You'll need the venison, a few liters of stock (preferably veal, but beef will work), some flour, and the below marinade.

Cut meat into 1-2 inch thick cubes, trim excess fat, and marinate with this recipe:

Marinade
One bottle dry red wine
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup onions, diced
2/3 cup leeks, white and pale green parts only, diced
5 cloves garlic, smashed
6 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. cracked black peppercorns

Place all ingredients in pan, and bring to a boil. Tilt the pan away from the burner and ignite the wine with a match. Allow the alcohol to burn off, then light it again. If there are no flames, then the alcohol is gone. This is a good thing for a marinade. Cool the marinade to below 40 F and pour over the meat. Place in well sealed bag and marinate for 8 to 24 hours. You can alter, omit, or add the ingredients if you like depending on what you have on hand that you think will taste good like parsley stems, lemon zest, turnip trimmings, mushrooms.

Preheat oven to 275 F. Remove meat from marinade. Strain the liquid from the vegetables and herbs so you have something silky smooth. 1st pile will be your veg, the 2nd will be your meat, the 3rd will be your marinade.

Bring the marinade to a boil, lower to a simmer, cook for 5-10 min, and skim off the foam. Remove from heat, cover, and set aside. At the same time, you'll want to be warming up at least 2 liters of your stock on a gentle simmer (be careful not to reduce too much).

Season the meat kind of generously with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Coat meat with flour and pat off the excess flour.

Get a large pan nice and hot over high heat. Add canola oil, and when hot, sear the meat. Make sure they have room and are not crowded. You want to let them sit there without disturbing, so they're still rare on the interior, but nice and dark on the outside without being burnt. 2 to 3 minutes on all sides should work well.

Remove the meat from the pan and place in a wide casserole dish. Using the same pan with all of those brown bits, pour off the used oil and saute the reserved vegetables for a few minutes, or until they begin to caramelize. Add the veg atop the meat in the casserole dish.

Pour the warmed stock over the meat and veg, along with the reserved marinade. The liquid should cover the meat completely, but it should not be drowning in it by several inches. Cover loosely with a lid (thick foil will work), and braise at 275 F for 4-6 hours, or until the meat is extremely tender.

Remove cooked meat very carefully after cooking, discard the veg, and strain the braising liquid until silky smooth. This is your sauce. You can reheat the meat in this sauce and at the last minute, turn off the heat, add a spoon of butter and serve with your favorite sides. Any root vegetables work. Crispy garlic ciabatta bread is also great for soaking up the excess.

"Preparing" artichokes for cooking is really one of those things that you have to see. I could type it all out for you, but that might not sink in as well as a video, so here:

Here is an Artichoke-Potato-Cheese casserole that I like:

400 ml cream and milk combo
kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 garlic clove, gently smashed, but kept whole
1 garlic clove, split in half
2 Idaho potatoes, peeled, sliced thin on a mandolin (1/16 to 1/8-inch thick)
3 artichoke hearts and stems, kept whole
1/2 lemon
White wine vinegar
Olive oil
A few spoonfuls of Gruyere cheese, grated

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Add your artichoke hearts & stems to a saucepot filled with about 3 cups water, 1/2 lemon, salt, pepper, and a light drizzle of white wine vinegar, and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Bring to a gentle simmer, cook for 1 minute longer, remove from the water and slice thin, about the same thickness as the potato. This infuses flavor into the artichoke and keeps it from browning. Set aside.

Bring the milk and cream to a simmer in a separate saucepot. Remove from heat immediately, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss in the smashed whole garlic clove. Add the leaves from the fresh thyme.

Add the potatoes to the warm milk-cream mixture as they are sliced. Return to heat. Bring to a simmer and stir carefully so nothing sticks. Cook until the cream is thick. (You can do all of the above steps simultaneously in two saucepots to save time).

Rub a casserole dish with the split garlic clove to give it a garlicky scent. A lot of flavor comes off from the garlic so it is okay to discard it; you just want the scent. Pour the potatoes and just enough of the liquid to cover them into the dish, layering evenly. Discard the smashed whole garlic clove you added to the cream mixture earlier. Sprinkle more salt atop the potatoes. Layer in the sliced artichoke.

Sprinkle the top with grated cheese. Placed into a preheated 375 F oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and browned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much any bread you make you can "pretzel" just make a simple bread dough from online. Roll into a shape you want then let it rise. Then boil it a baking soda water solution( I think it's a half cup/gallon. Take out brush with egg whites and top with salt and bake until done. Go to epicurious or food network websites, I've done those before to good results.

Awesome Bob! Thanks so much! I may try that venison recipe this weekend. Any beer or wine pairing suggestions?

Soft pretzels to go with my beer... Mmmmmmmm....

What's the best recipe for soft pretzels?

There are a couple that are pretty good... The traditional German "Bretzl" uses a lye dip in order to get the rich, brown crustiness on the outside. I've had a heck of a time finding food-grade lye (it is available), but Alton Brown has a solution... Use boiling mixture of baking soda in water. His recipe is pretty good.

If you want something a little more Bavarian and want to deal with lye, try our own Braukaiser's recipe... found here.

I've made Alton brown's and they are indeed tasty. The soda wash was a neat trick. I've never tried the lye, but my wife makes all our soap so I always have some around. May have to try it

Hi- Not looking for a "recipe" per say, but I've been on the hunt for the perfect southern style biscuit for the last few years. I've tried all kinds of recipes, and think I finally stumbled upon one that I saw the other night on Eat Street (TV show). They gave you all the ingredients in their biscuits, but they didn't give you proportions/measurements.

Here's what I was able to gather ingredient-wise. I'm asking you, since you're a professional chef, what measurements you'd use for the ingredients listed, to make a batch of biscuits. I understand there may be better recipes out there, but I'm hell-bent on trying this one first. I just need measurements for the following ingredients. Thanks!

-Sifted Flour
-Bakind Soda
-Cream of Tartar
-Salt

-Frozen butter
-Buttermilk
-Yogurt
-Egg(s)

4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder (or cream of tartar)
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp salt
2 whole eggs
1-1/3 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup plain yogurt (full fat)
2 sticks or 16 oz. unsalted, ice-cold shaved or fine-chopped butter, shortening or lard

Working quickly, whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl then add the cold shaved butter just to incorporate.

Whisk eggs, buttermilk, and yogurt together in a separate bowl.

In a mixer with a dough attachment, slowly add the wet to the dry and let spin on medium speed for literally 5 seconds. Don’t over mix or heat the dough up too much where it melts the fat. The dough will still be very floury at this point.

Pour the half-mixed dough on top of a floured surface and form into a very thick sheet, using a rolling pin and your hands. Roll out and fold the layers on top of each other about 6 times. Punch out rounds using a 3 inch pastry circle cutter. They should be approx. 1-1/2 inches thick when raw, but rise to double or more after cooking.

In youre preheated 385 degrees F oven, bake biscuits for 12-15 minutes, basting tops at the 3 minute left mark. Makes 12-14 biscuits.

4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder (or cream of tartar)
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp salt
2 whole eggs
1-1/3 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup plain yogurt (full fat)
2 sticks or 16 oz. unsalted, ice-cold shaved or fine-chopped butter, shortening or lard

Working quickly, whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl then add the cold shaved butter just to incorporate.

Whisk eggs, buttermilk, and yogurt together in a separate bowl.

In a mixer with a dough attachment, slowly add the wet to the dry and let spin on medium speed for literally 5 seconds. Don’t over mix or heat the dough up too much where it melts the fat. The dough will still be very floury at this point.

Pour the half-mixed dough on top of a floured surface and form into a very thick sheet, using a rolling pin and your hands. Roll out and fold the layers on top of each other about 6 times. Punch out rounds using a 3 inch pastry circle cutter. They should be approx. 1-1/2 inches thick when raw, but rise to double or more after cooking.

In youre preheated 385 degrees F oven, bake biscuits for 12-15 minutes, basting tops at the 3 minute left mark. Makes 12-14 biscuits.

Fantastic! Thank you!

Tall order...but certainly intimidating

Mole`

Lol, Mole deserves a whole separate thread. You're talking 30+ ingredients a crap load of technical processes and instructions. It would take one person hours to assemble in writing in a clear enough manner for a novice to follow without confusion. Even for the trained chef, it takes years to perfect Mole. I made it once myself and it was very good, but I would advise looking up Rick Bayless' recipe for Black Oaxacan Mole.

Mole instructions:

Find good Mexican restaurant

I've done a few psuedo-moles with BBQ sauce, onions, garlic & chocolate...pass. It's like comparing one-dimensional artificial raspberry flavored candy to real raspberries.

Lol, Mole deserves a whole separate thread. You're talking 30+ ingredients a crap load of technical processes and instructions. It would take one person hours to assemble in writing in a clear enough manner for a novice to follow without confusion. Even for the trained chef, it takes years to perfect Mole. I made it once myself and it was very good, but I would advise looking up Rick Bayless' recipe for Black Oaxacan Mole.

Oh, I know...:D

I can cook very well so there wasn't much I could think to ask...you said intimidating in the OP. I will look at Bayless' recipe...if there is any gringo I trust for authentic mexican its that goofy white boy.

Assuming you were classically trained, lets go with something right in your wheelhouse, simple but tricky to do well.

Chicken liver mousse or pate`

Mole instructions:

Find good Mexican restaurant

I've done a few psuedo-moles with BBQ sauce, onions, garlic & chocolate...pass. It's like comparing one-dimensional artificial raspberry flavored candy to real raspberries.

There are only a handful of restaurants in my town I would classify as good...and its certainly not the mexican restaurants. Having lived in a very Latin area of Chicago I am more than a little picky about my Mexican food.

The bayless recipe for anyone not familiar with google
OAXACAN BLACK MOLE WITH BRAISED CHICKEN

Serves 8 (with about 10 cups of sauce, which will mean leftovers to make enchiladas or more chicken with)

11 medium (about 5 1/2 ounces) dried mulato chiles

6 medium (about 2 ounces) dried chihualces chiles (see note in Variations and Improvisations below)

6 medium (about 2 ounces) dried pasilla chiles

1 dried chipotle chile (preferably the tan-brown chipotle meco)

1 corn tortilla, torn into small pieces

2 1/4-inch-thick slices of white onion

4 garlic cloves, unpeeled

About 2 cups rich-tasting lard or vegetable oil (for frying the chiles)

1/2 cup sesame seeds, plus a few extra for garnish

1/4 cup pecan halves

1/4 cup unskinned or Spanish peanuts

1/4 cup unskinned almonds

About 10 cups chicken broth (canned or homemade)

1 pound (2 medium-large or 6 to 8 plum) green tomatoes, roughly chopped

4 ounces (2 to 3 medium) tomatillos, husked, rinsed and roughly chopped

2 slices stale bread, toasted until very dark

1/4 teaspoon cloves, preferably freshly ground

1/2 teaspoon black pepper, preferably freshly ground

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, preferably freshly ground Mexican canela

A scant teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 ripe banana

1/2 cup (about 3 ounces) finely chopped Mexican chocolate

2 or 3 avocado leaves (if you have them)

Salt, about 1 tablespoon depending on the saltiness of the broth

Sugar, about 1/4 cup (or a little more)

2 large (3 1/2- to 4-pound) chickens, cut into quarters

1. Getting started. Pull out the stems (and attached seed pods) from the chiles, tear them open and shake or scrape out the seeds, collecting them as you go.

Now, do something that will seem very odd: scoop the seeds into an ungreased medium-size (8- to 9-inch) skillet along with the torn-up tortilla, set over medium heat, turn on an exhaust fan, open a window and toast your seeds and tortilla, shaking the pan regularly, until thoroughly burned to charcoal black, about 15 minutes. (This is very important to the flavor and color of the mole.) Now, scrape them into a fine-mesh strainer and rinse for 30 seconds or so, then transfer to a blender.

Set an ungreased skillet or griddle over medium heat, lay on a piece of aluminum foil, and lay the onion slices and garlic cloves on that. Roast until soft and very dark (about 5 minutes on each side of the onion slices – peel it off the foil to turn it; about 15 minutes for the garlic – turn it frequently as it roasts). Cool the garlic a bit, peel it and combine with the onion in a large bowl.

While the onion and garlic are roasting, turn on the oven to 350 degrees (for toasting nuts), return the skillet to medium heat, measure in a scant 2 cups of the lard or oil (you'll need about 1/2-inch depth), and, when hot, begin frying the chiles a couple at a time: They'll unfurl quickly, then release their aroma and piquancy (keep that exhaust on and window open) and, after about 30 seconds, have lightened in color and be well toasted (they should be crisp when cool, but not burnt smelling). Drain them well, gather them into a large bowl, cover with hot tap water, and let rehydrate for 30 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure even soaking. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid.

While the chiles are soaking, toast the seeds and nuts. Spread the sesame seeds onto a baking sheet or ovenproof skillet, spread the pecans, peanuts and almonds onto another baking sheet or skillet, then set both into the oven. In about 12 minutes the sesame seeds will have toasted to a dark brown; the nuts will take slightly longer. Add all of them to the blender (reserving a few sesame seeds for garnish), along with 1 1/2 cups of the chicken broth and blend to as smooth a puree as you can. Transfer to a small bowl.

Without rinsing the blender, combine the green tomatoes and tomatillos with another 1/2 cup of the broth and puree. Pour into another bowl. Again, without rinsing the blender, combine the roasted onion and garlic with the toasted bread, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, banana and 3/4 cup broth. Blend to a smooth puree and pour into a small bowl.

Finally, without rinsing the blender, scoop in half of the chiles, measure in 1/2 cup of the soaking liquid, blend to a smooth puree, then pour into another bowl. Repeat with the remaining chiles and another 1/2 cup of the soaking liquid.

2. From four purees to mole. In a very large (8- to 9-quart) pot (preferably a Dutch oven or Mexican cazuela), heat 3 tablespoons of the lard or oil (some of what you used for the chiles is fine) and set over medium-high heat. When very hot, add the tomato puree and stir and scrape (a flat-sided wooden spatula works well here) for 15 to 20 minutes until reduced, thick as tomato paste, and very dark (it'll be the color of cinnamon stick and may be sticking to the pot in places). Add the nut puree and continue the stirring and scraping until reduced, thick and dark again (this time it'll be the color of black olive paste), about 8 minutes. Then, as you guessed it, add the banana-spice puree and stir and scrape for another 7 or 8 minutes as the whole thing simmers back down to a thick mass about the same color it was before you added this one.

Add the chile puree, stir well and let reduce over medium-low heat until very thick and almost black, about 30 minutes, stirring regularly (but, thankfully, not constantly). Stir in the remaining 7 cups of broth, the chocolate and avocado leaves (if you have them), partially cover and simmer gently for about an hour, for all the flavors to come together. Season with salt and sugar (remembering that this is quite a sweet mole and that sugar helps balance the dark, toasty flavors). Remove the avocado leaves.

In batches in a loosely covered blender, puree the sauce until as smooth as possible, then pass through a medium-mesh strainer into a large bowl.

3. Finishing the dish. Return the mole to the same pot and heat it to a simmer. Nestle the leg-and-thigh quarters of the chicken into the bubbling black liquid, partially cover and time 15 minutes, then nestle in the breast quarters, partially cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until all the chicken is done.

With a slotted spoon, fish out the chicken pieces and transfer them to a large warm platter. Spoon a generous amount of the mole over and around them, sprinkle with the reserved sesame seeds and set triumphantly before your lucky guests.

Advance Preparation: The mole can be completed through Step 2 several days ahead (it gets better, in fact); cover and refrigerate. Completele Step 3 shortly before serving.

VARIATIONS AND IMPROVISATIONS: Chilhuacle chiles are very difficult to find unless you're in Oaxaca (even then they're sometimes hard to obtain). Without them you can make a very respectable black mole with 6 ounces (12 total) dried mulato chiles, 2 1/2 ounces (8 total) dried pasilla chiles and 1 ounce (4 total) dried guajillo chiles.

The bayless recipe for anyone not familiar with google, OAXACAN BLACK MOLE WITH BRAISED CHICKEN

Yes. There is also a video instructional floating around the net, too.

I can cook very well so there wasn't much I could think to ask...you said intimidating in the OP. I will look at Bayless' recipe...if there is any gringo I trust for authentic mexican its that goofy white boy.

Haha, but I also said, "Don't throw me any nutty curveballs though!!"

Bayless is actually quite skilled in authentic Mexican fare. I love Yucatecan cuisine myself, which is very different from Oaxacan. Still, you can count me as another gringo with a passion for authentic Latin flavors. I just don't believe that if I spent several hours assembling a detailed Mole recipe, that anyone here would even attempt it. And even if they tried, they would probably screw it up in some big way if they weren't trained.

Assuming you were classically trained, lets go with something right in your wheelhouse, simple but tricky to do well. Chicken liver mousse or pate`

No problemo. I'll write it up for you.

Tall order...but certainly intimidating

Mole`
I've got this one. Unless you have a whole day to spend on this, don't try it. Just buy some at the store and re-hydrate according to instructions.
Here goes. This is for mole rojo. I have been to Oaxaca, where they have seven different kinds. If you want a different color, let me know.

Mole Coloradito Oaxaqueno
Stock.
1 gal fresh, cold water
2 chickens, cut up into 8ths, necks and backbones reserved
1 onion
1 clove
2 carrots, cut
1 celery heart
1 head garlic
1 bay leaf
1 chile de arbol
6 peppercorns
1 sprig thyme
1 handful parsley stems
salt to taste

Add chicken necks and backs to water in large stockpot and bring to a boil. Add rest of ingredients except chicken. Boil 15 minutes. Add chicken pieces and poach 30-45 minutes until tender. Remove chicken from stock, strain and reserve.
Mole:
20 ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
20 guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
1 onion
1/2 head garlic, peeled
2 cloves
4 peppercorns
2 allspice
1 inch piece
1 stick Mexican cinnamon
1.25 lb ripe tomatoes, cut in fourths
1 sprig mexican oregano or 1/2 tsp dry
2 tbl corn oil
small handfull whole almonds(6 or so)
20 raisins
1/2 ripe plantain
1/4 loaf french bread, sliced
8 tbl sesame seeds, untoasted
1 tbl lard or crisco
2oz bar mexican chocolate
chicken stock from before
salt, to taste
Heat 2 c water
Over low heat on cast-iron skillet, toast chiles on both sides. Put in bowl and cover with hot water to soften for 30 min. Puree with as little water as possible and strain to remove skins.
In skillet, toast peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon. Roast garlic and onion and, when cool, puree with spices and enough stock to make it work.
Over medium heat in un-oiled sautee pan, cook tomatoes with oregano until cooked down, about 20 min. Puree and strain.
Heat 2 tbl corn oil in sautee pan and brown plantain and bread slices, 10-15 min. Add raisins until they plump up. Remove from pan. Toast almonds. Blend plantains, bread, raisins and almonds with stock(1 1/2c) until smooth
In same sautee pan with 1 tbl oil, toast sesame seeds. Cool and grind with mortar and pestle
In big Dutch Oven, heat lard until smoking. Add chile puree and cook 15-20 minutes.(watch for splattering lard, just keep stirring) Add Tomato puree and cook 15 min, stirring constantly. Add onion/spice mixture and stir well. Add plantain mix and sesame seeds. Cook, stirring constantly for 10 min. Add 5 cups stock to thin and add chocolate. When dissolved, add salt to taste and reduce over low heat 30 min, stirring occasionally.
Add poached chicken pieces to heat through and add more broth if sauce is too thick.
Serve with fresh corn tortillas
serves 12-14
Recipe is how I make Susana Trilling's mole recipe

Thanks for typing that out (or copy paste). How long will this keep? How does it freeze? I have a vacuum sealer if that matters.

Someone else messaged me this question. I directed them to Seriouseats.com - They have an entire section on Pizza recipes, with illustrations, recipes, tips, etc. They are very dedicated to getting everything exactly right. Check it out. Everything I would tell you is already covered there with more simplicity and science.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/the_pizza_lab/?ref=fresh

Serious Eats is a great site. If you want to know the science of things, Kenji (a former Cooks Illustrated guy) does an excellent job testing and re-testing things.

My pizza sauce (no amounts given, you should tailor to your preferences):
20 oz can of diced tomatoes.
Oregano (fresh leaves chopped)
Garlic (I usually use a press)
Basil (fresh leaves chopped)
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salt
Red wine vinegar (optional, but can be added to give a kick if needed)
Lots of GOOD olive oil

Saute garlic (crushed, sliced, whatever) over medium heat with some olive oil.
When turning light-brown, remove from the heat and add can of diced tomatoes. (I remove from the heat, as one time I had some splashing that ignited some of the hot olive oil).
Keep it going over medium heat, stir every now and then, until the tomatoes are drying up.
Add additional olive oil until it starts to look a little glossy and wet again. Add red pepper flake and a splash or two of red wine vinegar if you like a little vinegar kick in your sauce and cook til dry again.
Add additional olive oil until it starts to look a little glossy and wet again. Add basil/oregano (I use fresh), salt, pepper if desired. Remove from heat once you start smelling the herbs.

It should look chunky and sweetened up (but not cloying) from concentrating the tomato flavor.

I have let this go on the stove over low heat for hours and done it quicker over medium heat. The result is pretty similar.

Back