Hopbursting with European Hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
Here's a question that's been kicking around in my mind-
Has anyone ever tried using European hops but with an American IPA style hop schedule? For example, all late addition UK hops- Northdown/EKG/Fuggles; or German- Hallertau/Perle/Spalt in the last 20 min of the boil....
Note, I'm just spitballin here and pulled these at random. If you've tried this, what were your results?

I've had commercial beers that were exactly what you described: American IPAs, hopbursted with European hops. De Molen Saaz Hopburst, De Molen Premiant Hopburst and De Molen Sladek Hopburst, all very nice brews. Definitely AIPAs but with a twist, nice if you want to satisfy your hops craving but want something different than a regular IPA.

While this answer doesn't really help you from a homebrewer's PoV, it shows people have done it, and with success. I say go for it and post you results :mug:

Ok, cool- thanks for the reply- I'm going to give this a go at some point this summer. Will definitely update when I do!

As an experiment, I am attempting the following at the moment.

Hop Forward Hefeweizen (5 gallons)

3 lbs Wheat DME
3 lbs German Pils
1 lb Acid Malt

Yeast: Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068

Hops:
20M: 1 oz German Select
10M: 1 oz German Select
Flameout: 1 oz German Select

Its not an IPA, but might be interesting. I'm hoping for a slight tang from the acid malt (15% of the grist), and the hops have been described as tangy. They seemed pretty mild though, will see.

Back