Anyone use both Pin-lock and Ball-lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4 Ball-locks, and have a line on some cheap pin-locks. I need more kegs, and am wondering if I should just stick with the BL's. Any downsides, other than different disconnects?

I have both pin and ball locks. I use the flared disconnects so I can just swap those out depending on which keg I need hooked up. The only downside to pinlock is the fact that they don't have the pull ring pressure relief but that's not a huge deal to me, I just stick a screwdriver in the gas post or put on a disconnect without the tubing attached. If you don't want to have the different disconnects you can always get a conversion kit for the posts.

I have 4 Ball-locks, and have a line on some cheap pin-locks. I need more kegs, and am wondering if I should just stick with the BL's. Any downsides, other than different disconnects?

I used to have a mix of pin and ball locks when I first started kegging. Everything worked fine... I just had to be mindful of which kind of keg I was putting the new batches into so that I didn't end up with a ball lock spot free in the kegerator, but new beer in a pin lock (or vice versa).

I ended up selling the pinlock kegs because I downsized to a small minifridge kegerator that is only wide enough to hold two of the taller/skinnier ball locks. If I put a pin lock keg in that thing, then I could not put a second keg of any kind into it.

I sold off my pin locks even though it was not a big deal to swap out the QD's. I just didn't want to think about it anymore. Ideally it would be nice to have all kegs of the same mfg with the same parts.

The only downside to pinlock is the fact that they don't have the pull ring pressure relief but that's not a huge deal to me, I just stick a screwdriver in the gas post or put on a disconnect without the tubing attached.

Yeah... I forgot about that part.

I also use both types of kegs. I buy what is avalible when I need them. Some of my pin locks are short others are tall.

BlackTieBrewing said:
The only downside to pinlock is the fact that they don't have the pull ring pressure relief but that's not a huge deal to me, I just stick a screwdriver in the gas post or put on a disconnect without the tubing attached.

Not always true, half of my Pin kegs have a pull ring.
Buy what's avalible, parts are avalible for all types of kegs. But my home brew shop stocks more parts for the ball locks.... :)

I have three pin locks and one ball lock and 4 taps on my kegerator. I am slowly changing over to ball lock kegs. My pin locks also don't have the pressure relief thing in the lid and personally, I don't like that. I don't like jamming a screwdriver down onto the QD to burp my keg. CO2 is heavier than air. I always wonder how much air I'm actually getting out when I relieve it with the QD. Anal, I know, but that's just me. Also, sometimes, they stick open when you keep poking at them with keys or screwdrivers. The ball lock kegs are a little taller and a little thinner. Maybe an inch taller and a half inch thinner. Not a whole lot. I want to go to all ball locks. The local brew store sells used ones for $70 each. Pretty steep if you ask me. You can get them for half that in the lower 48.

I also use both types of kegs. I buy what is avalible when I need them. Some of my pin locks are short others are tall.

Not always true, half of my Pin kegs have a pull ring.
Buy what's avalible, parts are avalible for all types of kegs. But my home brew shop stocks more parts for the ball locks.... :)

Same here.. I'm 3/4 ball lock and 1/4 pin lock. All of mine have pull relief valves in the lids.

I use pin locks for beer with Brett yeast and ball lock for beer with non-Brett yeast. Helps keep them separate.

So I made a mistake and bought 2 pin locks for my 4.4 cubic foot mini fridge, and of course they both don't fit. I'm wondering if i get 1 ball lock if it will fit with my pin lock as a the second keg.

Anyone every tried this?

I don't know if they'll fit, but I run both no problem. Just be sure to get MFL disconnects on you gas and liquid connections and it's easy!

I have mostly ball locks, but I do have two pinlocks. I use the pinlocks for my sour beers. Separate corneys and connectors so I don't have to worry about contamination.

Back