Aquarium temperature controller NEEDING HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geologyguy

Reaction score
So I about a STP-1000 aquarium temperature controller form ebay. I have been trying to wire it up and have not had to much luck. I could not get it to power up. I finally wired it and it turned on. But I think it still is not working because it say -39 and switches to -38. Does any one have a diagram that might help me please!!!!!!! Also on my the contacts that say power is 3 and 4 and the switch switch symbol is on 1 and 2 not sure if that makes a difference?

A few photos might be useful in understanding your issue. Is it a STP-1000 or a STC-1000? The numbering scheme is similar to a DWH7016.

A few photos might be useful in understanding your issue. Is it a STP-1000 or a STC-1000? The numbering scheme is similar to a DWH7016.

I think it might be the DWH7016H-110V. Also if I have tried to wire it up a different way is it ruined?
The picture of the diagram was one of the ones I tried and did not work.

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 10.14.49 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 10.31.17 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 10.31.24 PM.jpg

I can't quite make out the wiring in the center photo but it appears to be wired incorrectly. It is not wired per the diagram. Let's see if we can clean up what you have.

From the power cord, the Hot/Black is connected to the yellow wire nut?
From the power cord, the Neutral/White is connected to the left side (silver) screw of the receptacle?

Are there more than two black wires in the green wire nut?

OR

I can just tell you how to wire it. I'll assume that you want to control both outlets of the receptacle together.

Hot/Black from power cord to a wire nut. A black wire from this wire nut to #2. A black wire from the same wire nut to #3. Resulting in three black wires in the this wire nut.

Neutral/White from power cord to silver screw on receptacle. White wire from other silver screw on receptacle to #4.

Black wire from #1 to brass screw on receptacle.

Ground to ground screw on receptacle.

Terminal 1 and 3 (black) is to power. Terminal 2 goes to reciprocal. Terminal 4 is neutral. I only have one socket wired in up. I am so lost I hope you can help!

Terminal 1 and 3 (black) is to power. Terminal 2 goes to reciprocal. Terminal 4 is neutral. I only have one socket wired in up. I am so lost I hope you can help!
I'm not seeing this in the photo. I see terminal 1 & 3 terminated in the green wire nut, but no additional wire. I can't tell what is terminated in the yellow wire nut along with a white wire that is connected to the neutral side of the receptacle. I have no idea where the white wire near your middle finger is going.

It is wired incorrectly. I can help. Try wiring it based on my previous post.

Okay thanks I thinkbyou might hVe solved it for me! tonight I will wire it up and see if it works. Also for the probe does it matter which terminal the + wire?

Okay thanks I thinkbyou might hVe solved it for me! tonight I will wire it up and see if it works. Also for the probe does it matter which terminal the + wire?
If it doesn't work after wiring it based on my post, check it again and post a photo. The probe wires are not polarized so either terminal for either wire.

I can't quite make out the wiring in the center photo but it appears to be wired incorrectly. It is not wired per the diagram. Let's see if we can clean up what you have.

From the power cord, the Hot/Black is connected to the yellow wire nut?
From the power cord, the Neutral/White is connected to the left side (silver) screw of the receptacle?

Are there more than two black wires in the green wire nut?

OR

I can just tell you how to wire it. I'll assume that you want to control both outlets of the receptacle together.

Hot/Black from power cord to a wire nut. A black wire from this wire nut to #2. A black wire from the same wire nut to #3. Resulting in three black wires in the this wire nut.

Neutral/White from power cord to silver screw on receptacle. White wire from other silver screw on receptacle to #4.

Black wire from #1 to brass screw on receptacle.

Ground to ground screw on receptacle.

So I drew up a diagram from your post, is this correct? Also on the left of my outlit I broke the tab so they are not connected fyi.

ForumRunner_20130618_141136.png

So I drew up a diagram from your post, is this correct? Also on the left of my outlit I broke the tab so they are not connected fyi.

View attachment 129392
That looks correct.

Please note: The broken tab between the HOT/brass screws will result in ONLY one of the outlets being controlled by the controller.

The other outlet will be always off. If you want it to be an always-on outlet, then add a wire between the Hot/black wire nut and the un-used brass screw on the receptacle.

That looks correct.

Please note: The broken tab between the HOT/brass screws will result in ONLY one of the outlets being controlled by the controller.

The other outlet will be always off. If you want it to be an always-on outlet, then add a wire between the Hot/black wire nut and the un-used brass screw on the receptacle.

So I wired it up (picture below) and it is sayin -38 and switches fast to -39 and then back. Do you have any thoughts?

ForumRunner_20130618_182851.jpg

It's still fairly difficult to see a few things. The green wire nut has a power cord wire entering through its tip? And the other power cord wire is twisted into the yellow wire nut? The power cord is providing 110v ac?

Does it turn on and off with the front panel button? Does it respond to pressing the buttons? Are the connectors clamped onto the copper part of the probe wires and not the insulation?

It's still fairly difficult to see a few things. The green wire nut has a power cord wire entering through its tip? And the other power cord wire is twisted into the yellow wire nut? The power cord is providing 110v ac?

Does it turn on and off with the front panel button? Does it respond to pressing the buttons? Are the connectors clamped onto the copper part of the probe wires and not the insulation?

Yes the green wite nut is the power in to the tip. Yes the yellow wire nut is from the power anf is the neutral. Yes the power cord is 110v ac.

It turns on and off and all the function I can change. Yes clamped on the copper and not the insulation

It functions correctly but the temperature readout is incorrect? At any point, did you mis-wire the probe connection? The probe interface electronics may be bad.

It functions correctly but the temperature readout is incorrect? At any point, did you mis-wire the probe connection? The probe interface electronics may be bad.

Yeah all the function work. You said it does not matter where + wire goes? And they go in 7 and 8. Well dang would you happen to know where I could get a new temp probe?

Yeah all the function work. You said it does not matter where + wire goes? And they go in 7 and 8. Well dang would you happen to know where I could get a new temp probe?
I wouldn't assume it's the probe. The electronics in the controller is more likely, especially if it has been mis-wired at some point.

Does the probe have a polarity label?

I've not seen this type of probe have a polarity requirement, but go ahead and swap the wires.

You have not answered my question of whether the controller has been mis-wired and plugged in. If it has had 110vac applied to the wrong connections, it may be fried.

I've not seen this type of probe have a polarity requirement, but go ahead and swap the wires.

You have not answered my question of whether the controller has been mis-wired and plugged in. If it has had 110vac applied to the wrong connections, it may be fried.

Well it did not work. I can not thank you enough for being so patient with me. I am going to scrap this one and get a new one. Could you lead me in the right direction about where and which one to buy and how to wire it? I don't want to mess this one up hahaha.

I found this one would this work good?
www.ebay.com/itm/All-purpose-STC-10...226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4164e78eda

Well it did not work. I can not thank you enough for being so patient with me. I am going to scrap this one and get a new one. Could you lead me in the right direction about where and which one to buy and how to wire it? I don't want to mess this one up hahaha.

I found this one would this work good?
www.ebay.com/itm/All-purpose-STC-10...226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4164e78eda
You're welcome. That ebay item looks correct. The most important consideration is that it is 110vac operation. The text of the listing states 110, so you're good. (Many are 220vac and that is not what you want.)

Back