Should my starter look like this???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I have done a few starters in the past but not a lot. Anyways, I started this one ysterday and it looks like this. Is this just the yeast? It's wlp007 English Dry Yeast.

Thanks a bunch. It is actually really fresh yeast also, just packaged on 12-5.

Thanks!

Your flask looks a little too full for my comfort zone and there appears to be some break material floating around (which is fine) or yeast clumps I guess. Looks fine to me, I wouldn't worry.

Looks normal to me. A lot of English yeasts clump together like that. I've seen similar looking pics

Alright, thanks. yes, it is pretty full but been fine. I'm going to throw it in the fridge tonight for two days then do one more step up. Should be ready by friday!

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure thie chunky stuff was ok. The ones i have done in the past all just blend into the beer and make the wort look cloudy until it settles for a bit. This stuff is THICK!

now?

yeast starter.jpg

Yep, that's 007. I just brewed with 007 this past Saturday. It is chunky coming out of the vial. I made a 4L starter and it looked exactly like yours does. No need to worry. That yeast is good stuff!

Make sure you use a blowoff tube...007 is a vicious bunch. I had a lid blowoff using this yeast, and I'm still finding chunks of hop/krausen matter in strange spots in my kitchen.

Yah, I'm brewing a 10g batch of a APA with it to build up a yeast cake for a BIG IRS in a couple weeks, I think this stuff is going to go nuts with the IRS!

Latest posts

Back