Bottling Hefe's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Hey guys...the instructions on my hefe says to bottle in 10-14 days after fermenting start. Im going to take a reading tonight (day 10) and then tomorrow and if they are the same, Im going to bottle on day 12. Is this right? I have read that the Hefe's need to be bottled young. Is 10-14 days enough? Seems like a short time to me, but that is what the instructions said. It did say you could rack to a secondry for two more weeks if desired, or just bottle at 10-14 days.

Any thoughts?

Check the gravity to be sure, but 10-14 days should be plenty. I have seen ferments complete in a few days. No need for a secondary.

the airlock stopped bubbling about 3 days in. Gonna check it today and tomorrow and bottle if its good to go then.

Don't rely on the airlock to tell if your ferment is complete. Be sure and use a hydrometer. Odds are you are ready to bottle, but it is best to be sure.

Most wheat beer yeasts are mighty vigorous. The foam has reached the top and out the airlock a few times.

slow down... it isn't going to be ready any sooner because you want it to be.

it needs to be done fermenting, and then it needs at least 3 weeks in the bottle

later GT

good luck

btw... i'm opening my first bottle of my first 'official' hefe on Saturday.

this one i left alone for four weeks, and actually put at the bottom of a stack of boxes so I couldn't possibly mess with it.

Good luck on that...hopefully the 4 week rest did it some good and it is an awesome beer! Let us know how it turns out!

i promise, if it's good the whole world is gonna know.

i've also got a cranberry ale that's due to be opened on christmas day.

it's killing me not to be able to take a "sneak taste"

Back