My blowoff needs a blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangelove

Reaction score
Made my first barleywine. I pitched about 5.5 gallons of 1.085 (missed OG of 1.101) onto a fresh yeast cake of WPL001. Fast bubbling in 2 hours. My blowoff is a 1/2" vinyl tube into a 16 oz glass 1/2 full of star san. It usually suffices. The next morning it had blown yeast and star san all over the inside of my freezer. I swapped the glass for a big bowl of star san. The bubbles sound like a machine gun. Probably 5-8/second.
I almost suffocated when I put my head down into the freezer to clean up the mess. It must have been pure CO2 in there.

I can't wait to taste this one.

Are you using a bucket or carboy for primary? When using a bucket, I've noticed a small blow-off tube doesn't do it. So I place the vessel in a tub, crack open the side of the bucket, and cover in aluminum foil.

I use a 3.5 gallon stock pot half filled with star san and a 1" blow off on my 6.5 gal glass carboys. I have had Belgian strongs that required me to change out the 3.5 gallon for a bigger pot. I cant imagine using a 16 oz glass.

Latest posts

Back