Low or no alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a friend who is coming from overseas and cannot drink alcohol but can still drink non alcohol beer. I'm just wonder if I was to make a batch of beer for him while he is here. Is all I have to do is leave out any kind of sugar and just brew it up until that point an then bottle with carbonation drops or is it not that easy.

Any help would be great.

Making beer is the process of putting sugar in water and then allowing yeast to convert that sugar into alcohol.

I'm not sure what point you mean when you say "brew up to that point", but if you don't add sugars of some kind you'll just have hops and water. There are ways of removing alcohol from beer, and there are beverages made from malt without yeast, but there is no beer without sugars of some sort or another.

(Carbonation drops are also sugar.)

I read a article long ago where they talked about doing this. You pretty much brew a beer and then heat it up to a point boiling the alcohol off then pitching some new yeast with the carbing sugar.

I guess it could be done the the article talked about having problems with the hop profile. After reading it I decided not to even try it

You can make a malt soda, but he would likely hate it as it takes a while to get used to the unique taste.

If he is allergic then anything that is carved with yeast should be avoided. Co2 is a byproduct of the creation of alcohol by yeast.

Nonalcoholic beer is regular beer with most of the alcohol evaporated out of it.

If you want to make him hopped malt soda you could, just use a co2 tank to carb.

Back