Easy barley beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbyslatte

Reaction score
Been brewing wine and mead for awhile. A friend gave me one pound of roasted barley that resembles coffee and I have no idea what to do with it. Can someone suggest a recipe that I wouldn't have to buy much to make? Thank you.

Roasted barley is a specialty grain rather than a base grain. A specialty grain like roasted barley is typically used in a very small percentage, roughly 3-5% when brewing beer. AFAIK you can't make a beer w/ just roasted barley. Not really much value if you are looking to make a batch of beer IMO....sorry!

Hey guys, thanks for your time. Will be on the lookout for braggot recipes. If you have a favorite please let me know.

I cooked that pound of barley in four gallons of water two weeks ago. I tried it today and was surprised how tasty it was already. Will surely blend it in a few weeks but so far so good.

Chubbyslatte, I highly recommend getting started with a braggot, they are good! I made mead exclusively for years (nearly a decade, sheesh- time does fly!), then got my feet wet with braggot, this is the recipe that started it all:

For 5 gallons:

6 lbs amber DME (Dried Malt Extract)
10 lbs raw honey (buckwheat I think)
1 lb Dingemans Special B Malt (steeped)
.75 oz cascade hops (boil 30 min)
.75 oz cascade hops (boil 5 min)

Yeast: Wyeast 1762: Abbey Ale II Yeast

Note, this requires no special equipment other than a mesh bag for the malt (you need to crush the grains too, that is something I did not realize at first!). The wort does need a full boil which is different than mead making. Anyway, this recipe could be tweaked some more I'm sure, but you get the idea.

This lead me to start researching beer brewing and I got going in the fall of 2011- I'm now on my 18th batch of beer! Then while you are waiting FOREVER for your mead to finish, you can make some beer in the meantime - its nice to have a finished product in a couple of months instead of a year or more.

Latest posts

Back