carbonating some white grape wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyB

Reaction score
In order to carbonate some white grape juice I fermented with some E1118, how much sugar should should I add to 1 liter bottle?

Depends on how carbonated you want it, but I would guess about 3 teaspoons would be fine

Just experimenting for Dad. He loves white grape anything, and he's not a huge beer guy like me.....especially if I give him a stout or an ipa .....but he likes to sip on wine cooler type things in the summer.....so that's kinda what I going for.

Have you tasted this fermented grape juice? Usually it ferments extremely dry, not really leaving much sweet grape flavor, and requires several months of aging before it tastes good, just like any other wine. I can't imagine going through the trouble for a liter. I have some cider I am making for my BIL who likes fruity drinks, and I am going to have to ferment it out, add a flavored fruit syrup, carbonate and then pasturize so the bottles don't explode.

Depends on how carbonated you want it, but I would guess about 3 teaspoons would be fine

that seams like a lot most of what I have seen recommend is 1/2 a cup for 5 gallons that works out to about 1 Tsp per regular size wine bottle

I have 1 liter bottles. I want to age some, carb some and sweeten/carb some. Just trying to determine how much sugar to add to carbonate.

The easiest way to do this is get Coopers carbonation tablets. Its the best way to meter out individual bottles.

that seams like a lot most of what I have seen recommend is 1/2 a cup for 5 gallons that works out to about 1 Tsp per regular size wine bottle

Are you surprised that someone named bottlebomber recommended more priming sugar than you expected? :)

Are you using plastic bottles? Make sure they will handle the pressure if they are glass.

I would say max of 1 tea spoon or ya gonna make a bomb out of it!! Lol

Guys, guys... 48 teaspoons to a cup. A cup of dextrose weighs 5.5 ounces - just slightly more than it would take to carb a 5 gallon batch. 5 gallons= approximately 19 liters. 48/19=2.5
2.5 teaspoons. So I wasn't far off just on a hunch. 3 tsp certainly wouldn't be enough to bomb it. And one teaspoon would barely be enough to make it fizzy.

everything I have read says 1/2 cup per 5 gallons not 1 cup. Half a cup is 24 tsp and you can get about 24 bottles of wine out of 5 gallons of wine so that works out to 1 tsp per bottle. The long and the short of it is 1 tsp per bottle works well (this I know for a fact) so why run the risk of exploding bottles by using more???

Back