IPA Attenuation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pchriste

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA yesterday using Pale Malt Extract and Caramunich and American Crystal 60L steeped and had an O.G. of 1.095. I pitched the only Ale yeast I had which was Safale US-04. My concern is that the yeast won't have enough attenuation to get to my desired F.G. of 1.016 and was thinking about pitching in a packet of either Safale US-05 or Nottingham Ale Yeast. Will there be a problem getting to 1.016 with only the Safale US-04? If so, is there a problem with pitching in another packet of a different kind of yeast?

I've got a Grand Cru (OG 1.086) fermenting right now that I also significantly underpitched. It's at 1.048 right now and still bubbling -- though it's been two weeks, so it's definitely a slow fermentation, but it is still attenuating. I'd be inclined to leave it alone for now and deal with it if/when it gets stuck.

I'll be interested to hear what people with more experience say, though.

1.095 is a really high OG for an IPA. That's on the high side of the IMPERIAL IPA scale, according to the BJCP guidelines.

I have never used US 04 for anything that big, but it's a good attenuator, around 72%, which would get you down to 1.016 BUT that's nearly 11% ABV, and I am not sure US 04 can handle that much alcohol...

I am curious to see what others have to say.

By the way, care to share the recipe? I am assuming you had a huge hop schedule for such a high OG?

I only pitched one. Its fermenting good right now with a nice krausen. Would pitching another packet now be alright.

I'll post the recipe soon

Fermentables

11 lb Pale Malt Extract (Alexanders)
.5 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Caramunich (Steeped @ 170F for 10 Min)
1 lb American Crystal 60L (Steeped @ 170F for 10 Min)

Hops

.5 ounce Centennial - 60 Min
.5 ounce Cascade - 50 Min
.5 ounce Centennial - 40 Min
.5 ounce Cascade - 30 Min
.5 ounce Cascade - 20 Min
.5 ounce Willamette - 10 Min
1 ounce Columbus - 5 Min
.5 ounce Centennial - Dry Hop Secondary
.5 ounce Willamette - Dry Hop Secondary

Yeast
1 packet - Safale US-04

Beer Profile

Original Gravity: 1.095 SG
Disired Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Est Bitterness: 55 IBU
Est Color: 16 SRM

Looks like a BIG tasty IPA, Imperial, even!

Let it go. If it get stuck pitch another pack. That's what I would do but others may advise differently.

Is there any problem with getting it to start again by pitching another pack after it's gotten stuck

Take a look at this. I've never done it, myself -- though I may have to for that aforementioned Grand Cru, knock on wood, it's still going... but the bottom line is, if you just pitch the yeast without doing anything to it, people don't tend to get great results with that.

If I end up having to repitch this Grand Cru, my plan is to make a starter and feed it the partially fermented beer to get it acclimated. Again, knock on wood, hopefully it won't come to that.

How well did you aerate that wort? In my experience, I also used a packet of S04 on a 2.5 gal batch of IPA. OG: 1.070, FG came out to 1.020. The Fermentation was fast and vigorous, only about 5 days that were noticeable. This yeast is a low to medium attenuator, and a highly flocculant strain. I was a little worried, about the high FG for an IPA, but time will tell. Im bottling it in 3 days.

Wait, 1.095 to 1.016 is over 80% attenuation isn't it? Honestly with 2 lbs of crystal, no simple sugar, and an extract batch I'd say there's no way you're going to get to 1.016 no matter what strain and how much you pitch. I'd be surprised if you get it under 1.020. Not that it will be bad, I just think we need to be realistic here.

Edit : okay, just realized someone resurrected a zombie today. I guess this batch is long gone.

Edit : okay, just realized someone resurrected a zombie today. I guess this batch is long gone.

Yeah, was going to reply with a bit of info on S-04, I came across the other day, that implied S-04 is only really good up to 6.5% ABV but realized the OP probably had no need for this info now:fro:

Latest posts

Back