Is it deadly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurgBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a LHBS' recipe called Harvest Moon Oktoberfest. I missed my numbers, only collect like 3.5-3.8 gallons of wort. But that's ok... First AG attempt. The good news is that I made beer and it has alcohol in it. OG was 1.044 (supposed to be 1.054) and I'm sitting about 1.011 (predicted FG of 1.010) so I'm about to bottle, probably next weekend. But this is where I get a little bit concerned. In my mash tun I used a zinc plated washer. When I removed the grain after a 75 minute mash and batch sparge, I noticed it looked almost tarnished/rusted. I could scrape off the brown deposit and the original silver color would show. Have I poisoned my wort and inevitably destroyed/wasted over three and a half gallons of beers? Or should I bottle, drink a couple and see if I die?

Thank you... Chester.

Do you have all of the kids that you want to have?

Just kidding, I am not sure about zinc plated washer.

Zinc is good. Keeps the old fella in good shape as you get older.

If I remember correctly, zinc is a nutrient that yeast requires. It's included in most commercial yeast nutrients. So you actually probably helped out your yeast somewhat.

Back