Constant stirring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klars

Reaction score
I brew partial mashes....do you stir consistently through the boil, or just when adding the extract?

What is best? Does it matter if you have a rolling boil?

You should only have to stir when adding your DME/LME to dissolve it.

And that's a loaded question as far as a rolling boil. Yes, you want a boil. As to how "hard" of a boil is totally independent. Me, I find that my efficiency rating goes up the harder I boil. Like right now, I sparged about a 1/2 gallon too much for this batch I am currently brewing(I was kegging a batch so as to use the yeast bed in the carboys for this batch). So, I am boiling harder then normal to try and burn off more liquid to hit my O.G. But, to your original question, yes, a rolling boil.

You should have a rolling boil, it helps with hot break. I only stir when adding things to the kettle. For LME and DME, I dissolve then in a portion of my brewing water addition before putting it in the kettle...I want to make sure everything is dissolved before putting it in the kettle. I also put all the extract in while the kettle is cool enough for me to reach in and make sure there isn't any extract stuck or pooled on the bottom of the kettle.

I use a false bottom which is why I pre-dissolve it.

Well, that is what I was hoping for....now I can read HBT while boiling.

Cheers!

....of course I wait for the hot break.

Or maybe I should have the SWMO watch it :)

Back