Delta Hops; English or American?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Delta Hops; Cross between Cascade and Fuggles, slightly spicy with hint of citrus.

American or English Pale Ale?

Anyone tried them? Had Direct Hops add a pound to my last order; for $8, couldn't go too far wrong!

Currently planning ESB Malt, 0.5 lbs Biscuit, 0.75 lbs Caristan, and WLP022 (Essex), for an English Pale Ale.

I made a SmaSh with them - they're along the lines of a Willamette, tho' not as aromatic. Definitely a subtle hop so I'd say English.

Thanks, I'll go with my original plan.

Planning on adding .75 ozs at: FWH, 15, 8, and 0, and bittering with a neutral hop. 43 IBUs, 1.054.

My upcoming Delta experiment - an easy going american brown. Will mash at 155.

I've never used delta, so I'm curious as to how it will go. I will be goind a delta pale ale with wlp007 after this one.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 21.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
9 lbs         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        87.80 %       
12.0 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        7.32 %        
8.0 oz        Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM)          Grain        4.88 %        
1.25 oz       Cascade - Hops on Hand [3.80 %]  (60 min) Hops         19.3 IBU      
0.25 oz       Delta - HOH [4.50 %]  (60 min) (First WortHops         5.0 IBU       
0.75 oz       Delta - HOH [4.50 %]  (20 min)            Hops         4.6 IBU       
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)      Yeast-Ale

I have been making an ESB using Delta hops exclusively. It won 3rd place in English pales at the Ohio Beer Week homebrew competition last month.

Check out www.reedbrewing.com for recipe.

I made a beer pretty heavy on the Delta that should be drinkable in a month or so. Used Delta the whole way through with .5oz Amarillo at 60 and 1.5oz Am at 15. The base is Live Oak Hefe clone. 3 gals went on WLP300 hef yeast and 3 went on my custom mix of WLP001/565/530. Come to think of it, I may not be the best person to report back on the influence of Delta hops. :p

I bought some from my LHBS, they said they are a hybrid of Cascade and Fuggles.

They smell magnificent and I put an ounce in my IPA along with the normal Cs, 1/2oz at 5min, the other half at flameout. I will bottle tomorrow and taste. I've heard they are nothing to be surprised by. I would believe, howver, they could be great in a brown, mild, or ESB as mentioned above.

They're definitely subtle. I wasn't incredibly impressed with them.

They are an English/American hybrid. They aren't supposed to be overpowering, but at 6.5AA they are fine at bittering as well as aroma/flavor. I would not use them in an IPA or other American "extreme" hop situations, but if you are looking for balance with an American (citrus) flair, then they are definitely my hop of choice.

I did a 1.052 america? Brown ale with the following hop additions:
0.25 oz delta as a first wort hop
0.50 oz chinook at 60 mins for bitering
0.75 oz delta at 20 mins for flavor

When it was young it had a recognizable grapefruit character that has since aged away from the beer. I wonder if that was the delta or the chinook? Since then it has settled into an ale that suffers from overcarbonation AND bit of harshness (tannin extraction? chinook bittering? poor choice of malts?... I dunno.)

I have 3 ounces left and I'll likely do a simple pale ale or a smash with delta to see what it can do. I thought that the brown ale with the flavor addition and FWH addition would have a certain taste, and I've yet to be satisfied that I've found it.

I used somewhere in the ballpark of 14 oz in a 5 gallon batch, 3 oz for dry hop and 1 oz for keg hop. I really would've expected a lot more hop character. Maybe the ones I got were old because I boiled 3 oz for 90 min and the beer really was not very bitter at all. I also didn't use a hop bag; I strained them out in the end. I would've expected better extraction that way.

I used somewhere in the ballpark of 14 oz in a 5 gallon batch

Wow. If you want evidence that Delta is fairly mellow, here it is folks.

I'm drinking a glass of my Live Oak hef clone with 4oz of them (1 in DH) right now. Hard to say whether I can identify them in there or not between the big banana flavor and the Amarillo flavor blast. Think my next hef might have Palisade & Nelson Sauvin. That should be interesting on the palate at the very least.

I just brewed up a special bitter with these in three weeks ago. I bottled it two weeks ago and will be serving to guests this weekend. I am VERY happy with the character I got from the hop. It's very subdued but nice. I used 1oz at 20 min and then another .5oz at 5 min. I did not dry hop the beer, but it's a nice brew. If this is well received by a friend I may end up buying a pound of Delta hops to brew up another batch or two of this recipe.

Back