what do you think of this plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
So I am fermenting my first beer and when I poured the beer into the Carboy I poured in ALL the hops veggie matter. When I bottle in 10 days or so, I plan on siphoning straight from the carboy into a bucket with a spickut(spelling??) and just being as carefull as possible to siphon beer only and not the junk on the bottom. If I dont get every last drop of beer, no problem.

How does that sound??

Any red flags??

so should I "rack" my beer into another carboy in another couple days??

I dont have another carboy, just a 6.5 gallon bucket with a spicut. Will that work?

Also this is a big issue- I did not take a gravity reading when I made the wort. Do I really need to take a gravity reading before bottling? Cant I just know that after 14 days the beer is done fermenting.

Also isnt all this proposed movemet of the beer really bad for it because of oxygenation??

Thanks to any with answers

Don't worry about oxygenation. some say it's a mythe but try not to splash the beer about.

It can be dangerous to bottle without taking a gravity reading. Don't worry about not taking an initial reading but take on after a week.

Latest posts

Back