Computer Controlled Relays w/ Temp Sensor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanoj

Reaction score
I am looking at automation of my brewery sometime in the future. Until then, I am thinking of adding an electronic temperature sensor. While poking around for something that senses temp with upgrade potential this just was brought to my attention:

http://www.canakit.com/4-port-usb-relay-controller.html

R1104.jpg

4 relays and 6 inputs (digital (I/O), analog or temperature) on one board for $60.

No software however. Just wondering if any of our Brewtroller types thinks this might be an interesting way to run a few pumps, etc.

This isn't much cheaper than a BrewTroller. Keep in mind you don't need to use every feature of BrewTroller when you start. You can use it to monitor temps and control a few pumps.

The main difference being the Brewtroll is a micro-controller and can work independent of a PC, where the Labjack and item listed in the OP are for automation using a PC.

dozer: Absolutely. I was referring to the item in the intial post.

If the intent was to go toward BrewTroller, spending $40-60 on a temporary alternative versus the $80 for BT might not be the best choice.

BTW there is a PC companion program (BTRemote) for the BrewTroller if a full PC interface is your preference.

My first thought was Ardunio (sp) as a solution. I began following the Brewtroller and thought it would be perfect as I have not programmed anything for 20 years. Then the addition of relays, display, etc. got me thinking of something less complicated (but less capable) that could be PC controlled. Again, the programming would be a time suck. I have way too many of those.

I plan on ordering a Brewtroller as soon as I get back from a ski trip I am on. Also looking at a pair of temp sensors from stirplates.com (now brewershardware.com?).

Thanks for everyone's input.

-Sean

Hey Guys well i think that BrewTroller is a separate device with simple, affordable user interface made up of a text-based show.You don't need a computer connected to your produce system to use BrewTroller.Thanks!!

Back