What to add furing second fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards81

Reaction score
I just brewed a gluten free extract as it was given as a gift. I am curious what everyone has done on the second fermentation to give it some flavor so its not so boring. Any thoughts?

I just brewed a gluten free extract as it was given as a gift. I am curious what everyone has done on the second fermentation to give it some flavor so its not so boring. Any thoughts?

Probably best to provide your base recipe. From there you can get advice on spices, hops etc.

Good call sorry forgot to add

6.6 lbs of sorghum
1 lb of Golden Candi Syrup
8oz of maltodextrine
2oz of cascade
1 spice pack
It is a 60 min hop
1oz of cascade at 60
.05 and candi at 45 min
.05 cascade at 15 min

Curious what to rack onto when i transfer to secondary. Want to keep te Gluten free intact.

Looks like the Northern Brewer Kit. I did that one and it came out really good. I have been doing variations on that basic recipe. Not sure what is in the spice pack, but in later versions I used 8 grams of coriander and 8 grams of orange peel from my LHBS. In later versions I also added a dry hop of an ounce of Cascade. I did it once in the primary and once in the secondary. There are lots of threads in this forum on dry hopping. In the secondary, I used a hop bag that I boiled for 15 minutes, cooled and added pellets in the mouth of the better bottle. Had no problem getting it out after racking to the keg. Good luck.

Thanks for everyones feedback i have decided to use a raspberry puree picture attached below. This pic was just taken and yes i know there is a little foam.

image-557217338.jpg

Back