Aging my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghosthef

Reaction score
I have my imperial stout resting in secondary with bourbon soaked oak chips currently. I'm planning on letting it age for another 4 months (6 months total). When I bottle, will I need to add yeast or should the residual yeast be okay to carb the bottles? Any help would be great. Thanks!

I don't know if you need to, but it won't hurt to. I always add a couple grams of dry yeast when bottling a long-aged, big beer. If nothing else, it reassures me that I'll get good carbonation...and I always have. While maybe not likely, it is possible that the yeast currently in there are just too wiped out to do any more.

i would contemplate adding a little yeast at bottling, just to be safe. a quarter packet is plenty.

are you going to leave the wood chips in there for the entire 4 months? the oak flavor could be a bit much. you might want to pull weekly samples to make sure you're not over-oaking your stout.

I have been taking small samples an so far it isn't overwhelming. If it starts to get to be too heavy I'll pull them out.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Back