Making a garage suitable for home brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBlue

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is more the pre-cursor to a DIY thread, but I was looking for some specific advice and I thought this was a good place to find it.

I'm starting a major garage remodel (****ty carport -> 1 1/2 car garage), and I was wanting some advice for how to set it up for future garage brewing possibilities.

I'm planning on putting in a 100 amp electrical service, with natural gas, water, and sewer.

I'm wanting to put a large trench drain in the middle and put in a large exhaust fan in the back wall.

Are there more suggestions about things I can add in before the concrete is poured and the walls go up?

Here are my recommendations/requirements for any dream garage build:

* Insulation
* Large Basin Sink
* TV
* Urinal

* Insulation
* Large Basin Sink
* TV
* Urinal

In addition to those, I'd add seating for those long mash times. Some kind of splash guards around the walls to of the actual brewing area to aid in cleanup. And A walk in cooler is a must if you plan on brewing often, bc you will need the cool storage.

A 100A electrical service, and plumbing will be great. Planning on an electric system or a hybrid with NG?

If your putting in a trench drain how about sloping floors? Then you don't have to squeege quite as much water.

* Insulation
* Large Basin Sink
* TV
* Urinal

To start with I'm going sheetrock the ceiling and fill the attic with insulation, but leave the walls bare studs for now. That way I can have some time to figure out where I should put all the utilities before I insulate and close up the walls. I'm thinking about doing 2x6 construction to allow for more insulation.

I was planning on just doing a standard utility sink, were you thinking something bigger than that? I wanted to put the faucet up higher on the wall to make washing taller items easier.

I hadn't really thought about running cable to the garage, but I guess it would be easy to add in if I already have the trench for the other utilities.

I'm going to put a toilet drain in the corner so I could have bathroom at some point. (required if I ever decided to expand to a licensed microbrewery).

Get a SS 3 compartment sink with the sprayer especially if you are thinking about a licensed microbrewery. It is required by the Health Dept (although that may only be for restaurants).
WinHolt_WS3T1824.jpg

I think it's all covered. Plumbing in and out (drain), sewage, electricity, NG and temperature control. Those are things I'm taking the into account for my new garage in a year or two. Also a floor drain and hoseable walls in the brewing area with splash resistant electrical outlets. Just hose the whole thing down when you're done.

Unfortunately, strip clubs in Seattle can't have booze, so I have to choose one or the other. This has become a big dilemma.

Back