Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone v. the real thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got around to doing a side by side comparison of SNPA and clone attempt.

Can you guess which is which?

IMAG0078.jpg

Color is slightly different, aroma and flavor are spot on, mine is a teeny bit more bitter. And the ABV is way higher on mine. Oops. :drunk:

10 lb 2 row
1 lb Munich
0.75 lb 60L
0.5 lb flaked barley

0.5 oz perle @ 60
0.5 oz magnum @ 60
1 oz cascade @ 10
2 oz cascade @ 0

Mash at 156.

WLP001 with a 1.5L starter

Considering I didnt adjust water or aau, I am ver happy! :mug:

The SNPA is on the left.

Why is yours way higher ABV? Great efficiency? Or great attenuation? I mashed mine at 153 (maybe 154, it's been a while) and ended at 1.010 which I thought was perfect.

Mine ended at 1.012. But OG was 1.064. Most of the clones are 10lb 2row and 0.75 lb 60L. That extra Munich and flaked bumped my OG. But it worked since I used 0.5 oz of magnum compared to the 0.3 OS most clones recommend. And yes, SNPA on the left....they obviously bottle condition, I now keg; which may explain some of the foam difference.

Mine ended at 1.012. But OG was 1.064. Most of the clones are 10lb 2row and 0.75 lb 60L. That extra Munich and flaked bumped my OG. But it worked since I used 0.5 oz of magnum compared to the 0.3 OS most clones recommend. And yes, SNPA on the left....they obviously bottle condition, I now keg; which may explain some of the foam difference.

It looks really good- I thought the one on the left looked a wee bit lighter and thought it was because I think the Munich made yours ever so slightly darker. But the foam is sort of a giveaway, too, until the keg ages a bit.

I really like your recipe- I think Munich is a GREAT addition.

Yooper said:
The SNPA is on the left.

Why is yours way higher ABV? Great efficiency? Or great attenuation? I mashed mine at 153 (maybe 154, it's been a while) and ended at 1.010 which I thought was perfect.

Yooper we're not all perfect stop rubbing it in arrgh! Lol

Think I need to do this.

How do you make the starter? do you just use sugar and water for the yeast to eat? I know it is suppose to be a wort, just a little confused on that.
Thanks

landshark said:
Think I need to do this.

How do you make the starter? do you just use sugar and water for the yeast to eat? I know it is suppose to be a wort, just a little confused on that.
Thanks

You can do this, to simplify. Or just do a search on starters.

ForumRunner_20111111_072254.jpg

Well, brewed Dec 10th. Finally tapped the keg today. I must say. DELICIOUS.

Thank you for the recipe.

I'm glad you liked it :mug:

The munich adds just a little sweetness and a little more body that works nice with those hops. Making 10 gallons of it next Monday...

Mine is much different than yours.

5 gal batch:
1.8 lbs light dried malt extract
4 lbs light liquid malt extract
1 lb 2-row
1 lb crystal malt 40
2.5 aau magnum hops (0.18 oz) 60 min
4.8 aau perle hops (0.7 oz) 60 min
5 aau cascade hops (1 oz) 15 min
0.75 oz cascade hops 0 min
0.75 whole cascade hops dry hop
1 tsp irish moss @ 15 min
Wyeast American Ale (1056)

Tastes nothing like sn after 3 weeks fermenting and 1 week in the keg. The good news is that it gets a little better every day, but still tastes somewhat weak.

Latest posts

Back