I might have switched my Arrogant Bastard and IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle what I think is an IPA however it is dark in color almost red. looks eerily similar to the Stone Arrogant Bastard clone I brewed around the same time. I added the dry hops the this "IPA" a week ago and I'm supposed to bottle tonight. I guess the worst that can happen is I have a hopped up Arrogant Bastard and maybe a bland IPA?

I guess the worst that can happen is I have a hopped up Arrogant Bastard and maybe a bland IPA?

Arrogant Bastard is worthy of dry hopping anyways. Even better rack it into a glass carboy and Oak it. I brewed 10 gallons of AB and experimented with it. The normal dry hopped is a good beer, the oaked version is a really good beer. The last two gallons I added bourbon to is a phenomenal beer. I added 1.5 oz of oak for 5 days then 1oz of bourbon per gallon of beer.

You could always dry hop the second beer in question. I can't imagine any beer in the hoppy range being adversely affected by dryhopping.

Unfortunately, I already bottled the IPA. I like the idea of oaking the AB these beers are for the beach in 5 weeks so it's probably too late to do much else with either of them.

Next time I will listen to my wife when she tells me "you should lable those so you don't confuse them". My response "pfffffttttt, whatever"

Unfortunately, I already bottled the IPA. I like the idea of oaking the AB these beers are for the beach in 5 weeks so it's probably too late to do much else with either of them.

5 days of oak, bottle next Saturday and it still has 4 weeks in bottle, plenty of time to carbonate. If not at least pour a few shots of bourbon in the end of the bottling bucket. If the oak affect was not so good why does Stone charge a $6 premium for the Oaked Bastard? On the other hand you may end up with an Bourbon Oaked IPA. The Bourbon Oaked Bastard is so good i am looking to experiment more with these additions or maybe I should just start drinking more bourbon.:D

Back