Spent Grain - Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flack

Reaction score
1 cup warm water
4 Tbsp sugar
2 cups spent grain
1 pkg dry bakers yeast
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 to 3 1/2 cups bread flour

Combine sugar and yeast with warm water. Add salt, oil, spent grain, and 1 cup of the flour. Mix well. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.

Knead well, cover, and let rise for several hours (until doubled). Punch down and shape into two loaves. Place on a greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise until doubled.

Bake at 425 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F. and bake for 10 more minutes or until nicely browned.

Is this tried and true. Sounds good. What kind of grist was this with. What style?

I have used alot of different types of grain, my general rule of thumb is if you don't mind eating it by itself, it won't be any worse in bread form.

You know I see a lot of these "spent grain" recipes and have always wondered.... is there any nutritional value left in spent grain?

I've got a batch of this in the oven right now. I've made it twice before.

I had never made bread before, but this is fairly easy and good. A nice dense bread, great with butter and a pint of homebrew. Or along with a good soup or stew.

I made this last night after brewing up an Oktoberfest. I figured that would be a pretty good grain bill to get into a bread. It turned out very good and I'm a little sorry I threw the rest of the spent grain away as I would do another batch this morning. I'm interested to see what other beers make a good bread. Here's a picture for those (like me) who would like to see what they are making before they start.

IMGP5970.JPG

Update:
Been cooking up some spent grain bread each batch I brew. I really enjoy doing this! Each loaf comes out a lil different depending on the grains, its a lot of fun!

Hey! Great thread here. Inspired me to try my own take on baking with spent grains. I used spent grains from my recent attempt at cloning Deschutes Mirror Pond.

Here are my results:

DSCN2464.jpg

DSCN2467.jpg

And here's my take on a recipe:

3 cups spent grain
5 cups bread flour (approximate)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup homemade Irish Stout
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pkg dry baking yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm (112*F) water
Pinch of cornmeal

Combine grain, 2 cups of bread flour, salt, and brown sugar in large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.

Dissolve 1/2 tsp white sugar in 112*F water in a small bowl. Sprinkle dry yeast on water surface. Cover bowl w. foil and hold between 110* and 115* for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, add beer and oil to grain/flour mixture and stir together. Slowly add 2 more cups of bread flour and combine (I just used my hands, coated w. flour to avoid sticking).

After 10 mins soaking, gently stir yeast mixture, replace cover and rest for 5 mins or until yeast cream is nice and thick.

Add yeast mixture to dough and combine by hand. Slowly add remaining bread flour until dough is stiff and only a bit sticky.

Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. Place dough in large bowl coated w. nonstick spray, cover w. damp towel, and leave for 2-3 hours (or until roughly double in size) in a warm spot to rise.

After initial rise, punch down dough and turn out onto floured surface. Shape into a round loaf, pulling the top of the loaf tight. Grease (or spray) a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal to prevent sticking. Place loaf on prepared sheet, cover w. damp towel, and allow to rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until roughly doubled.

Preheat oven to 425*F. Bake loaf on center rack for 20 minutes. Using a spray bottle with clean water, mist the entire loaf (6-8 squirts) every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes. Then reduce oven temp to 375* and bake another 25 mins, or until loaf sounds hollow when thumped with a knuckle. Cool, cut, and munch. :)

Yum! This thread got me going, so thanks for the inspiration.

:mug:

Here's another recipe for spent grain bread. It's a little more involved but the depth of flavor is well worth it. This is my adaptation of Peter Reinhart's recipe in Whole Grain Breads.

Spent Grain Bread

Chad

I made this last night and it turned out awesome. I used grains from a partial mash so they were a little sweeter than AG spent grains. Still good.

Might as well use some beer. I threw in about a half cup of 2-row into this recipe. Also a good way of getting rid of that can of PBR that has been sitting in the back of your fridge.

Cooking spray
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 ounces lager beer
2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center. Pour in beer and olive oil and mix until just blended. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 45 minutes, until golden brown.

I just followed sfbayjay's recipe, cept I used a pale ale and the grains from my EdWorts Haus Ale.

DAMM TASTEY.

SpentGrainBread.jpg

Brian's wife here- That picture looks so good that if we didn't make beer, I would make it, just to make the bread! Amazing job. Trying it on Monday! Thanks

SWMBO is making Beer Bread now with the spent grains of a 2 Hearted PC clone...Her last loaves with the grain from an AB clone was fantastic...I am getting hungry thinking about it

SWMBO is making Beer Bread now with the spent grains of a 2 Hearted PC clone...Her last loaves with the grain from an AB clone was fantastic...I am getting hungry thinking about it

What a coincidence, I'm making my first batch of spent grain bread right now...also from a 2-Hearted clone I brewed yesterday. Maybe I should have saved some of the Bell's yeast for it, it was a washed cake so I had plenty.

I just started working on my hearth bread with an extra half-cup of dortmundor grains thrown in and 1/6 cups of what turned out to be Cran-Pomm-pLambic substituted for equal water (I thought I grabbed a stout. That's what I get for not labeling).

Next weekend I'll try this with bagels, but making sure I use the stout.

I've been using this recipe as my starting point for spent grain bread, but my only question/ponderer is about the spent grains. The first time I found there wasn't nearly enough dry flour to give the dough the right consistency after kneading (which was easily overcome and adjusted in future batches), but perhaps thats because the spent grain has been dried before use in the dough?

I'm eager to use this recipe in a chocolate oatmeal stout I'm making in a couple weeks, though I'll also be using some for cookies.

Anyways, thanks for the recipe. Almost every other one I've found didn't use enough spent grain for my tastes, and seemed somewhat gimmicky (hey, I use grain [no matter how little] from my beer brewing in my bread! Look how multifaceted and unwasteful/green I am.).

In my recipes I didn't reduce the flour by the amount of grain added because of the same issue. It was far too liquidy when I tried.

Yeah, increasing the amount of flour is the way to go. My standard when using spent grains I haven't baked with before (after trying it standard, i adjust the flour and add adjuncts to compliment) is 3 cups whole wheat and 1 cup white. Perhaps a bit more white/water as dough consistency dictates. The rest I keep to the original recipe.

I almost never buy bread anymore. The spent grain keeps for a while in the fridge, and a new batch or two every week is enough.

This is so cool, made it durning the 60 minute boil from the spent steeped grains; into the oven later tonight. This is a most excellent forum!

I made the recipe from post 12 this weekend and it was fantastic. I've been eating sandwiches on it all week.

My question is has anyone tried to freeze the dough or the bread to use for later? I would like to keep some on hand ready to go but would like to avoid the hassle of full on cooking bread every few days or so.

I know you can freeze pizza dough for a couple months or so and use it without ill effect but don't know about this.

Oh, I made pizza dough as well and grilled it over the weekend, absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended.

Pardon my ignorance. Does the spent grain need to be dried before making the bead?

I did not, and mine came out fine.

On another note, what would be a good spread to serve with this? Think of how you go into a mexican restaurant and get chips and salsa; italian place bread and olive oil, steakhouse rolls and butter. For my brewpub, I would love to have baskets of this with ???? Honey Mustard Mayo? Honey Butter? Bacon Honey Butter? Horseradish Mayo?

It would have to be something that is relatively inexpensive and awesome with the bread and complement the line of fine, hand-crafted beers that will be on tap....

Please suggest! :mug:

EDIT: @ mose, I have frozen mine in 1/4 sections and find it is just as good as the day I made it; use a non-porous wrap like aluminum foil as plastic will cause freezer burn.

My question is has anyone tried to freeze the dough or the bread to use for later? I would like to keep some on hand ready to go but would like to avoid the hassle of full on cooking bread every few days or so.

Its perfectly fine to freeze the bread. Wrap tightly in plastic, and to reheat bake at like 300 for 10 minutes (or until warmed through). I would not freeze dough, as it makes everything way more complicated since there is usually a ton of spent grain left for baking. I bake all of the bread I plan to make ahead of time, and freeze what I don't plan on consuming immediately.
Pardon my ignorance. Does the spent grain need to be dried before making the bead?

No. If you don't dry it out you don't need as much water as the initial recipe calls for.

On another note, what would be a good spread to serve with this? Think of how you go into a mexican restaurant and get chips and salsa; italian place bread and olive oil, steakhouse rolls and butter. For my brewpub, I would love to have baskets of this with ???? Honey Mustard Mayo? Honey Butter? Bacon Honey Butter? Horseradish Mayo?

It would have to be something that is relatively inexpensive and awesome with the bread and complement the line of fine, hand-crafted beers that will be on tap....

Please suggest! :mug:
It probably depends on your pub's theme. Garlic infused olive oil, horseradish dip, honey mustard dip, etc. Personally, I prefer hummus. There are any number of ways to differentiate it (spicy hummus, garlic hummus, guacamole/southwestern hummus, etc.

SWMBO baked up a couple loaves of this after my batch last week and liked it so much she said I need to brew more often so she can make it regularly. Win-Win!

Preheat oven to 425*F. Bake loaf on center rack for 20 minutes. Using a spray bottle with clean water, mist the entire loaf (6-8 squirts) every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes. Then reduce oven temp to 375* and bake another 25 mins, or until loaf sounds hollow when thumped with a knuckle. Cool, cut, and munch. :)

Yum! This thread got me going, so thanks for the inspiration.

:mug:
I use the spray bottle technique as well, it gives you a nice crusty bread. It is also great to use with rolls. Nothing like home baked bread and rolls, especially when they contain your spent grain from a recent brew day.

Salute! :mug:

So I am new to brewing and I still do extract brewing...could i just the specialty grains from steeping to make something like this? It sure does look delicious

So I am new to brewing and I still do extract brewing...could i just the specialty grains from steeping to make something like this? It sure does look delicious

You're missing a verb, but yes, you can use the specialty grains from steeping. The result will be sweeter, though, because you don't get as much sugar out by steeping than by mashing.

Yeah, increasing the amount of flour is the way to go. My standard when using spent grains I haven't baked with before (after trying it standard, i adjust the flour and add adjuncts to compliment) is 3 cups whole wheat and 1 cup white. Perhaps a bit more white/water as dough consistency dictates. The rest I keep to the original recipe.

I almost never buy bread anymore. The spent grain keeps for a while in the fridge, and a new batch or two every week is enough.

How long will you keep the spent grain in the fridge for? I assume you just put it in a covered container.

How long will you keep the spent grain in the fridge for? I assume you just put it in a covered container.

Not what you asked, but it will keep virtually forever in the freezer. Just make sure you use it within a day of pulling it out; it goes south quickly.

Here's the recipe I use, easy and AWESOME. Pictures here: http://beerreviewdude.com/beer-recipes/spent-grain-beer-bread-recipe/

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon rapid-rise yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons room temperature water
1/2 cup spent grain, preferably low on the roasted malts
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons lager
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary

Instructions

Combine and whisk flour, yeast, salt, Parmesan, and rosemary in large bowl. Add water, grain, lager, and vinegar. Using a silicone spatula, fold together mixture, scraping up dry flour from bottom of bowl until a ball forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for 8 to 18 hours.

Line a 10-inch skillet with a sheet of parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead 10 to 15 times. Shape the dough into a ball by pulling the edges into the middle. Transfer the dough, seam-side down, to your parchment-lined skillet and spray the surface of dough with nonstick cooking spray. Cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap and let it rise at room temperature until your dough has doubled in size, around 2 hours.

About 30 minutes before your dough is done rising, adjust oven rack to the lowest position, place your Dutch oven (with the lid on) on the rack, and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Dust the top of your dough lightly with flour and, using a sharp knife, make a 6-inch-long, 1/2-inch-deep slit along the top of the dough.

Carefully remove your dutch oven from the oven and remove the lid. Pick up dough by lifting parchment and lower into the Dutch oven. Cover the Dutch oven and place in oven. Lower oven temperature to 425 degrees and bake covered for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove lid and continue to bake until loaf is deep brown and the center of the loaf registers 210 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Carefully remove the loaf from the pot; transfer the loaf to a wire rack and cool to room temperature, which would take about 2 hours.

Back