Brewpastor's Coldroom Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I have been threatening this for years, but now it is coming together.

I have framed in a 80" x 90" cold room. Two of the wall are 2x4 against subgrade exterior walls and 2x6 against insulated above grade walls. The other 2 walls are 2 x 6. The ceiling is 2x6 against 2x12 existing insulated ceiling, and the floor is half 2x4 and half 2x6 on existing slab.

I have it all framed and I am ready to put in the window unit AC. I have build a recessed area for my draftbox/Irish Coffin. The interior ceiling height will be just under 8', with an exterior height of 9'.

I will post photos as they become available. :ban:

I have been threatening this for years, but now it is coming together.

I have framed in a 80" x 90" cold room. Two of the wall are 2x4 against subgrade exterior walls and 2x6 against insulated above grade walls. The other 2 walls are 2 x 6. The ceiling is 2x6 against 2x12 existing insulated ceiling, and the floor is half 2x4 and half 2x6 on existing slab.

I have it all framed and I am ready to put in the window unit AC. I have build a recessed area for my draftbox/Irish Coffin. The interior ceiling height will be just under 8', with an exterior height of 9'.

I will post photos as they become available. :ban:

I was sitting too far from the monitor and thought I read 80' x 90' at first and was like, man Brewpaster does not mess around, still this is going to be awesome and can't wait to see the pics :mug:

OK, here are the first round of pictures. You are looking at the northwest corner of the garage/brewery. You can see the block on the back wall, which is the portion of the wall that is below grade. The place is a mess, but what can I say, it is a work in process.

Framed room with opening for Irish Coffin niche:
P1010603.jpg

Framed draft box niche with bar surface. Note the space below the framing which allows access to the inside of the Irish Coffin:
P1010658.jpg

The mess that is my brewery:
P1010659.jpg

Irish Coffin temporarily in place:
P1010657.jpg

I will be using standard insulation with craft paper backing. R-19 and R-12. Sheet-rock exterior and foam board interior. More to come.

For a few extra bucks you can get R-23 and R-13 batts. They are made with smaller diameter fibers.

So, why not just buy a refrigerator?

I am definitely tuning in for this!
Speaking of root cellars, I wonder if one might work for lagering... anyone have any experience?

I was sitting too far from the monitor and thought I read 80' x 90' at first and was like, man Brewpaster does not mess around, still this is going to be awesome and can't wait to see the pics :mug:
Totally +1, and it was completely unsurpising given that this is BP we're talking about.

In fact, I was a little disappointed when I realized he was talking "inches"!

That looks nice, pastorman. Someday I'm going to do this. Not on this house, but when we go looking for our next one, that will be something I'll have in mind...space for that thing!

It kind of reminds me of this

...but for good beer

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I have a question. As I put up the insulation and the plastic vapor barrier, does the Vapor barrier go inside or outside?

Don't take my answer as if I know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to give it to you anyway. It goes on the outside facing the hot moist environment. If that moisture gets through the insulation and hits the inner cold wall, it will condense and make for a mold situation. You want to keep warm moist air where it will stay that way.

All I can add is that in the design of Data Centers, we always call out for the vapor barrier on the cold side of the wall. This prevents any condensation from forming in the insulation of the walls. Which leads to mold growth.

I don't get that. Warm air holds moisture until it gets cold, then it doesn't anymore. If the plastic is nearest to the interior cold wall, the warm air gets through the insulation and then hit the cold plastic. So, I'd rather stop the moisture before it gets into the insulation.

OK, I have a question. As I put up the insulation and the plastic vapor barrier, does the Vapor barrier go inside or outside?

Very simple:D

A vapor barrier is designed to keep moisture in your home from getting inside your walls. Every time you install batt or roll insulation the a vapor barrier (paper side) faces to the inside of the room not the outside (cold side).
If you install insulation without vapor barrier a 4mil plastic sheet is stapled over the entire framed wall before the dry wall is installed.
I used to watch This Old House.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB.

Bobby,

According to This Document you are correct, it should be on the warm side of the wall. I guess I should ask more questions at work regarding the placement of the vapor barrier. Now I'm not sure why we detail it to be on the cold side.

Very simple:D

A vapor barrier is designed to keep moisture in your home from getting inside your walls. Every time you install batt or roll insulation the a vapor barrier (paper side) faces to the inside of the room not the outside (cold side).
If you install insulation without vapor barrier a 4mil plastic sheet is stapled over the entire framed wall before the dry wall is installed.
I used to watch This Old House.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB.

I guess it depends on location too. For instance, in Florida, the "cold" side of the wall would always be the interior so the barrier should be facing out.

I guess it depends on location too. For instance, in Florida, the "cold" side of the wall would always be the interior so the barrier should be facing out.
Maybe cold and hot side should not be used.
Living space?
El Paso is a lot hotter than Florida and the vapor barrier in our homes is on the inside (living space).
We don't install plastic, only staple on the paper faced rolls.
I think it's time for the home builders to reply;)

Have a great day,
ClaudiusB

Both sides would create a trap for moisture. Have you ever seen a double insulated window with moisture in it? Try getting that out.

You would have to assume that except for some exceptions the interior of the cold room would be the cold side. Otherwise it's the warm room.

Back