dunkelweizen fermentation ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I just brewed a dunkelweizen from midwest supplies (recipe at end of post)
I was curious about fermentation opinions.
Popular opinon is that a hefe shouldn't get secondary. I would think a dunkelweizen would get the same treatment.

However the instructions from Midwest actually say they reccomend a secondary on this beer. This is my first kit I got from them, so maybe that is default language on all of their instruction sheets.

I am curious if the all mighty brain power that is homebrewtalk.com beleives the same for a dunkel and hefe? No secondary needed.

Also, based on the forum searches I have found most people bottle a hefe after two weeks fermentation. Should I follow the same schedule for a dunkelweizen?

thanks,
Steve

recipe:
6 lbs Wheat LME
3.3 lbs Dark LME
8 oz carapils
8 oz Caramel 40
1 oz Vanguard hops – bittering Alpha Acid 4.4%
1 oz Hallertau – finishing Alpha Acid 1.5%
1 Wyeast bavarian wheat #3056 smack pack

http://www.brew-winemaking.com/ProductPDF/3482.pdf

It wouldn't hurt to let it sit longer, but it should be ready after 2 weeks. Just ferment it at 68 for two weeks and then package it.

I just brewed a dunkel today as well. Pitched it on the yeast cake from the hefe I just bottled. I've done a dunkel before and just went 2 weeks in primary and straight to bottling. It turned out great. I don't think a secondary for a week or so is going to do much but drop some yeast out, and I kinda want that yeast in the bottle...

The main thing is keeping your temps down while fermenting...and use a blowoff tube.

Back