First time kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rono73

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm kegging for the first time, and was wondering if I'm supposed to transfer from primary to secondary and then to cornys, or do I use the corny as a secondary?

It's a simple English bitter, so no dry-hopping or anything fancy. Your basic drinker. Thanks all.

You *can* use a keg as a secondary, but be prepared to get a few sludge pints from it because of the sediment that falls out.

I treat it like I was bottling.... I just have one large bottle instead of 50 small ones.

I do 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, then into the keg to carb.

Before I had a conical fermenter, I used to use the keg as a secondary. You just remove the sludge with the first few pulls of the tap.

Hey, that was my first post!

It depends on the beer for me, for something simple, I got 2-3 weeks in primary then to a keg and force carb. If you rack carefully out of your primary into the keg, you will only have a few pints with stuff in them. Try straight to keg this time and a secondary next and see which you like more...

I always do 4 weeks primary cool, add gelatin for 3 days, then to keg and gas. 1-2 weeks later,pull firsts pint and dump (that's all your sediment).

I ferment in the primary (typically 10-14 days) and then straight to the keg. Some beers I will age in the keg before carbing and drinking. Other I force carb then drink straight away.

IPA's and hefeweisse seam to be best fresh. As soon as I get them in the keg I will carb them up and put them on tap. Big beers with out big hop flavors can age for 1-6 months.

I age in cornys all the time.

It goes like this:
Primary - 2 weeks or so
Rack to corny, leaving as much trub in the fermenter as I can
Age in corny for as long as that takes
Transfer to another clean "Serving" corny with an "Out to out" jumper
Chill
Carb
Drink:drunk:

Always clear and tasty :rockin:

Thanks all for your info. I went with racking to secondary 5 gallon carboys, and then I'll transfer to corny and bottles. My 10 gallon batch only turned out 7.5 gallons, so I'll keg 5 gallons, and bottle the rest.

Latest posts

Back