Don't be a newb: Write it down!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is just a friendly reminder to fellow brewers to write down what you brew.
Even if it's just a quick note of how many lbs of extract and what hops.
Better if you write down what temp you steep at, fermentation temp, and exactly what OG you start with.
Best, use some software to track your stuff.

I'm writing this because my brew log, a three ring binder, got some water spilled on it and I was letting it dry out when I brewed. I didn't write down the last three batches I've made, and guess what?

The batch I just cracked open might possibly be the best beer I've made.
Do I have any idea what's in it? No. But it is delicious.
I do know the general conditions, but I've forgotten what hops I used to bitter with. It will suck to be me after the last bottle. :tank:

+1!

Even better -- brew software is only $20 and makes days you don't get to brew feel like you are still having hobby time!

+1!

Even better -- brew software is only $20 and makes days you don't get to brew feel like you are still having hobby time!

I agree. Software is a great diversion while I learn how to be more patient and leave my young beer alone.....plus I never lose track of exactly what I did with each brew! Win Win!

I'm into redundancy. I have paper brew diary wife gave me with initial kit and I use Promash. Between the two, I have every relevant data point stored in easily accessible form.

This can be critical. My brewing buddy wrote down the grain bills, but never bothered with the hops. I've tried making memorial batches of Stiffy, but haven't gotten the hops right.

Back