Some Russian River Info...new beers and brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Seems Vinny was in town the other week after buying equipment from the Dogfish Head boys down in DE. Local beer writer Jack Curtain has some interesting info on his blog including two new beers:

http://www.jackcurtin.com/index.htm

"We made five different beers, brewed them separately and aged them in barrels, then blended them," said Vinnie. "Dave told me he wanted a darkish Belgian Ale that was aged in a barrel, sour but not too sour. The mixed component part was my idea. Here was there for all three stages of producing the beers and I particularly wanted him there for the blending because it's his beer. Ultimately it was his decision on how the final beer turned out."

20th Anniversary is primarily draught, with what 750ml corked & caged bottles there are to be sold only at the Toronado. Vinnie said that Russian River did a keg each of the two base component beers for serving at the brewpub.

Batch 23 (11%) is a ramped-up version of Damnation. "We pumped it up to a Tripel and added oak chips, changed the malt and hops, but used the same yeast," Vinnie explained. "The name has nothing to do with the movie, although I do talk about Jim Carey on the back label. We're obsessed with the number and put `23' somewhere on all our labels. It celebrates a friend of mine from San Diego, Steve, who passed away."

...and of course, my favorite line in the piece:
That opening, he said, is scheduled for January 2008 and if they pull it off, "you can count on a good flow of Russian River beer into Philadelphia by March."

:rockin:

Stan H also has some info on his page, including this tasty tidbit:
http://appellationbeer.com/blog/russian-river-brewing-expansion-update/

"The hoppy beers - Pliny the Elder (an Imperial/Double IPA) and Blind Pig IPA will be bottled for the first time. “But I don’t know how much Elder we’ll ship in bottles.”

Pliny the Younger (a triple IPA) will be brewed once a year and in 2008 will be draft only.

Cilurzo hasn’t settled on a bottle size for Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder, but is determined not to sell his beers in six packs. He prefers a 750ml-capped bottle or a 16-ounce bottle for those beers. "

All I can say is heck yea!!!

the_bird said:
AWESOME! FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

Great news, DAMN that is some good beer!

Didja see this tucked at the end of Stan's blog?

"Masschusetts would likely be the next state added in the East"

Dude said:
Oh wow, good stuff!

Thanks fo rposting, brewt00l.

I think it is a great thing that RR is finally getting in the position to get their product out there for more to experience their unique brews. I am sure that with the new brewhouse and increased distribution there will be cries of "it was better when" but come on, Pliny bottles in my fridge? Hell Yea!!

Here's a little thing that I appreciate...

Redemption (a monks’ strength beer at 4.8% abv), Perdition (a Belgian-inspired pale ale) and Salvation (dark and strong) should all be nearly as easy to find as the flagship Damnation (strong and golden). Cilurzo particularly wants to promote Redemption. “It’s everything I believe in, that we need more lower alcohol Belgian-style beers,” he said. “It is something we do at the pub.”

I appreciate that someone of Vinnie's caliber is really pushing back against the movement to make everything HUGE.

Back