step infusion with batch sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok here is the bonified dumb question of the night but please bare with me as I really am new to this method and want to make sure I am doing this correct so I will lay out the process.

Equiptment used

10 gallon Igloo MLT
10 gallon HLT
10 gallon brew pot

Recipe used

5.5 lbs weyermann bohemian floor pilsner malt
4.5 lbs wheat malt
1 oz saaz pellet hops
wlp300 hefeweizen yeast

Process used

2 step infusion mash

Ok here we go - preheat MLT to 127 degrees fahrenheit temp 15 minutes or so then dump water ........ next add 10 lbs grain to MLT and add 10 quarts143.3 degree water to have a 1qt/lb ratio for my protein rest to achieve 127 degrees for 30 minutes.......next add 6 quarts of 206 degree water to reach my next step of 152 degrees to have a ratio of 1.60qt/lb ratio for 30 minutes
I will not be mashing out because I will exceed a 2 quart per pound ratio and don't believe I'm supposed to exceed this due to thinning the mash too much.

Finally I wanted to see if anyone was completely against batch sparging with a step infusion.... I have never fly sparged before though I do understand how to do it. Honestly I would much rather batch sparge as I don't want to do two new techniques in one night.

Thanks everyone for helping a new 2 step infusion guy I appreciate any technique review and advice.

looks good to me. I've done it myself before, just like that for the most part. don't be afraid to add more or less than 6 quarts for your second infusion, the idea is to hit your temps, not your volumes. I never mash out when i batch sparge, just make sure you hit it with ~180 for your first sparge, this should raise your grain bed temp around 170.

Two things. I don't think you need a protein rest with malted wheat. If you still want to do it, it doesn't have to be 30 minutes. 15 minutes will do.
No not for the wheat but for the bohemian pilsner it is slightly under modified. I thought about 15 minutes also as a friend of mine told me that as well but I'm just used to doing a 60 minute deal so I figured 30-30.

I'm always scared to go to 185, i should probably pay more attention to my grain bed temp. when i sparge. I'd listen closely to anything Bobby M says though.

Back