size of a copper still or serving tank in room question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all1knew

Reaction score
Hello all,

Let's say I have a balcony area that has a 7" ceiling in my place of business. I am thinking about placing a copper still up there for appearances only, thus it doesn't have to be working. The room is about 14' wide and goes 10' back. My idea is to put some flood lights on it and just draw some attention.

What size still should I be looking for, or perhaps a pair of them would be better?

Obviously empty, but what is the weight of something like this?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

William Kramer

I don't think the admins here let people talk about stills. You should search for a distilling forum.

Well it doesn't have to be a still, it could be a serving tank, or a brew kettle - just something big and copper that has to do with the creation of alcoholic beverages.

William Kramer

So, for decoration?

You could go and buy something new, and probably waste the money on an unused piece of equipment. Or you could doctor something up to look like it's equipment.

How about getting an old oil tank, painting it with copper and building a brick ring aorund the bottom, or wrapping in copper sheeting and then putting wood planks around it?

My local brewpub actually brews in the equipment they display behind glass. They're copper kettles with wooden staves wrapped around them. I assume they're steam heated.

So, for decoration?

You could go and buy something new, and probably waste the money on an unused piece of equipment. Or you could doctor something up to look like it's equipment.

How about getting an old oil tank, painting it with copper and building a brick ring aorund the bottom, or wrapping in copper sheeting and then putting wood planks around it?

My local brewpub actually brews in the equipment they display behind glass. They're copper kettles with wooden staves wrapped around them. I assume they're steam heated.

Great idea with the oil tank, and I like where your head is at. I was just looking for something used, and perhaps not in working condition. My idea with the balcony can't weigh too much, thus I can't brew up there I don't believe. If I could reinforce the ceiling I would have the brewery there and visible behind glass, as the room is roughly 19' wide x 16' deep if I need it to be. Do you think that would be enough room, and wouldn't a complete functioning system weigh too much?

Bill

Latest posts

Back