Is this really a crazy idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giono2

Reaction score
I am wondering, with all of the skill available on this board, shouldn't it be possible to redesign a 5 gallon "keg" so that 4 would fit into the Sanyo fridge? Here is my idea: weld a square tube to a volume of 5 gallons, add an opening for a corny lid, and attach the posts. I know this is totally over simplified, but doesn't it seem like there would be a way to fit more than two kegs into that fridge if they were a different shape?

Note: SWMBO has limited the fridge idea to the Sanyo, thats why I may sound desperate. Obviously a bigger fridge is the easy answer.

I agree, I think the pressure is relatively low though. I'm sure some of the smarter folks around here know though.

You also have to be able to scrub the thing out....corners make that tricky. If you can't sanitize the thing right, it won't be worth it. For the money you'd spend, you could just score a chest freezer and "get your keezer on".

The problem with using a square vessel is that the flat walls will bulge out.

The curved (round) walls of a round vessel are in straight tension. As soon as you use flat walls, the wall itself acts as a beam instead of a member in tension. That is why most (all) pressure vessels that I know of are round or have curved panels. Ever seen a pressure vessel with a flat section ?

Figure the side at 8x25. 400 square inches @ 20 psi. 8000 pounds of force per side. Tends to round a tank out. You could do it, but the results would be much heavier and a lot more expensive.

It makes more sense to cut some cornies down & stack them.

Ok, crazy it is. Seriously though, really good points all around. It was just a though rattling around in my head.

Why not redesign the sanyo to hold more kegs? People put collars on chest freezers, why not take the door off and make the sanyo deeper as to hold 2 more? Aesthetically it might be challenging but technically I think it would be easy.

Back