Hot Break Reabsorbtion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhammonds

Reaction score
I brewed an All-Grain Helles yesterday and was quite dissapointed to see how hazy, cloudy, milky the finished, boiled wort was going into the carboys. I do a mash recirc with a false bottom and a march pump for the last 15 minutes of the mash. Once clear, I did a 45 minute fly sparge (gravity fed into the boil kettle, I bypass the pump on the sparge to allow for gravity extraction). I had really clear wort going into the kettle. Then, after 15 minutes of the boil, a fantastic hot break: Egg Drop Soup Bigtime!

After 90 minutes I begin chilling (I have a 50ft. Jamil-style immersion chiller with Whirlpool) and was able to get below 90F really quickly, and then down to 50 with an iced pre-chiller. I assumed that the cloudy/milkiness was from the whirlpool and trub still in suspension, but after a 15 minute rest post whirlpool, I had a hazy, cloudy, floury, wort into the carboys? Ideas? I did add yeast nutrient about 15 minutes before flameout? Could that have given the haze? Thoughts?

In my experience, the clarity of the wort going into the fermenter doesn't really correlate with the clarity of the finished beer. If you had a good hot break and a good cold break, gravity should drop everything else out eventually.

In my experience, the clarity of the wort going into the fermenter doesn't really correlate with the clarity of the finished beer. If you had a good hot break and a good cold break, gravity should drop everything else out eventually.

+1, also using Whirlfolc makes a huge difference for me at least. It helps to coagulate the protiens and drop them out of suspension.

I hear ya; just a little concerned on this one, it seemed extra milky/cloudy. It was my first time using the whirlpool, so I was unable to detect a cold break given the continually agitated wort. We'll see after fermentation I suppose. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on Yeast Nutrient contributing some haze?

Yeast nutrient is generally a bunch of protein (often in the form of dead yeast hulls). I wouldn't be surprised at all if that clouded up a brew a bit. It should drop out on the same type of timescale that dormant yeast does.

Back