Bottling a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
So this is a total noob question but Im just wondering. When I was buying beer I would know not to buy cold beer if it was going to be a while before it got into the fridge because it would get warm, and then making it cold again would give it a skunky taste. So now that Ive had my lager in the fridge for 4 weeks and I keep it at room temp to bottle, wont it get skunky once I put it in the fridge to drink? Im sure it doesnt because everyone has told me this is the way to do it but Im curious. Thanks. Hopefuly Ill be experienced enough some day to help others.

The most often way a beer gets skunked after bottling is to leave it exposed to uv rays from a light source such as the sun or flosescent lighting. Bringing it from the warm to cold and visa versa won't do that.

Skunkiness is generally attributed to exposure to ultraviolet light (sun). I'm not sure if temperature fluctuation of commercial beer like that is a myth. It may well be. As far as bottling a lager, as long as you are using corn sugar for carbonation, it will be fine to carbonate at room temp. If you're using DME or original wort to carbonate, you need to carbonate it at the same temp. as primary fermentation (usually the upper 40s to low 50s F).

The reason for this is that lager yeast will produce esters (fruity) if they ferment maltose at higher temps. And you generally don't want fruity flavors in a lager. If they're fermenting dextrose (corn sugar), their fermentation is very clean and they won't produce these esters at higher temps.

extreme temperatures can cause problems with beer flavor, but i'm talking about leaving it in a hot car in the hot sun for a few days...120F temperatures, prolonged exposure.

but 'skunky' is really attributed to hop oils oxidizing under UV light (the sun). Heiniken is a prime example...green bottles don't block UV light well at all, and when heiniken sits on the shelf for 2-3 weeks under a lot of fluorescent light, the UV rays from those bulbs skunk it.

heat 'damage' would more likely taste like stale beer. i believe it affects stability more than anything.

Back