adding sugar to primary worried about oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhound28

Reaction score
Hello everyone and happy St paddy's day
I have a golden strong in primary,its 3 days in the krausen seems to have fell.I want to add a pound of sugar but before i do i want some of your opinions on how to go about this without oxidizing my brew..Its still throwing off C02 so im quessing the risk is low..should i just boil the sugar with a little water/cool/then dump..sorry if its a dumb question..again happy st paddy's ..cheers everyone

You're over worrying it, adding sugar won't xoydize it.

The best way is to put the sugar in a pan, and add just enough water to moisten the granuels, and then 1 tbs more (Terrapinchef who is a chef showed be this trick for making simple syrups) then bring it to a boil for 5mins or so, then let it cool a bit, and pour it in.

You're over worrying it, adding sugar won't xoydize it.

The best way is to put the sugar in a pan, and add just enough water to moisten the granuels, and then 1 tbs more (Terrapinchef who is a chef showed be this trick for making simple syrups) then bring it to a boil for 5mins or so, then let it cool a bit, and pour it in.
thanks alot...your right i always over worry..like you said i have noobmylytis or something..cheers

The yeast will scavenge oxygen and as they produce CO2 this'll also strip out some of the oxygen. A fermented beer should literally have no oxygen left in it (assuming it has an airlock on it).

To put it into perspective I transferred beer at work yesterday from a tank after fermentation into a tank purged with CO2 (to around 50ppb) and then measured the beer and it had 9ppb after transfer. Oxidation shouldn't be a concern until you hit 500ppb and if you still have yeast in there that'll help add to shelf life.

I've actually heard an American brewery (can't remember which) add dried yeast when bottling to add to shelf life as it scavenges the oxygen in there (they bottle it fully carbonated and don't add priming sugar).

The yeast will scavenge oxygen and as they produce CO2 this'll also strip out some of the oxygen. A fermented beer should literally have no oxygen left in it (assuming it has an airlock on it).

To put it into perspective I transferred beer at work yesterday from a tank after fermentation into a tank purged with CO2 (to around 50ppb) and then measured the beer and it had 9ppb after transfer. Oxidation shouldn't be a concern until you hit 500ppb and if you still have yeast in there that'll help add to shelf life.

I've actually heard an American brewery (can't remember which) add dried yeast when bottling to add to shelf life as it scavenges the oxygen in there (they bottle it fully carbonated and don't add priming sugar).
so in other words..adding sugar to primary has no risk of oxidation due to the amount of co2 present? i cant get over the noob mountain

Back