Viable dry hop technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haighter

Reaction score
I've read many a-post on here wondering how to dry hop, how to get the hops fully wet and submerged and began thinking. What if you put the hops in the secondary first, then poured the brew from the primary? I get the feeling most of the time, the brew is siphoned into the secondary and then the hops are added. The way I'm positing would have to ensure total submersion, which I assume is the goal in the first place.

they going to float unless you put them in a bag and weigh it down. they fall eventually (in my experience in about 10 days) and i bottle

honestly i dont think it makes any difference .. i normally go for after its racked dont get hop particle on your hose or whatev you use for racking

I think most people do as you suggest, add the hops to the carboy then rack on top. That's how I rack beer onto annything, oak chips, fruit, etc. In fact since many folks on here use the statement "Rack on to..." that that way is implied.....

But like so many other things in brewing it really makes no difference, and is simply a matter of preference.

Back