Water Reports (ATL) - Where to find them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acr4

Reaction score
Where can I find a detailed water report for the Atlanta area? I know I shouldn't drink the water, but I'd like to know what I'm working with (or dieing from).

I've found a few online, but they are out-dated (2002, 2006) and don't include most of the beer-related impurities, such as calcium, bicarbonate, magnesium, sodium, chloride, sulfate, and alkalinity. (I pulled that list from Beer Alchemy btw.)

Also, a reverse-osmosis system will give me pure water right? 7.0 pH, deionized, 100% pure water..? If that's the case, it seems like getting an RO system will pay for itself pretty quickly when compared to dropping ~$10 per brew on bottled water.

acr4 said:
Where can I find a detailed water report for the Atlanta area? I know I shouldn't drink the water, but I'd like to know what I'm working with (or dieing from).

I've found a few online, but they are out-dated (2002, 2006) and don't include most of the beer-related impurities, such as calcium, bicarbonate, magnesium, sodium, chloride, sulfate, and alkalinity. (I pulled that list from Beer Alchemy btw.)

Also, a reverse-osmosis system will give me pure water right? 7.0 pH, deionized, 100% pure water..? If that's the case, it seems like getting an RO system will pay for itself pretty quickly when compared to dropping ~$10 per brew on bottled water.

Go to the website of your water supplier. Info should be there.

I am in Dekalb County and could not find anything online. E-mailed the water people and got no response. I use 5.2 pH stabalizer with no problems. I have considered getting a water report done myself. But, with the drought it is very likely that the water content is changing a lot. I will probably get one done someday when the water supply stabilizes.

RO will get all the metals and minerals out of the water, one with a good carbon filter will capture just about everything. If you brew all grain you will have to build you water with salts but would be perfect for extract. Makes for pretty good tasting drinking water too.

Thanks Beerrific! I'm in North Fulton, so I get the wonderful Atlanta city water. I really think spending $200 on an under-sink RO system and a few bags of salts is the way to go. While I would like to know what's in the water here, it's probably not going to be easy to get the information. I imagine a water report will set me back $100 just to find out my water isn't ideal for brewing the styles I want to brew. Between beer, drinking water, and cooking water, I'd get my money's worth from an RO system. Since I brew away from home, I'll just fill my 10-gal Gott mash/sparge tun from the tap and take it with me. :)

pldoolittle said:

That doesn't have any metal/ion information (bicarb, calcium, sulfates, etc.).

acr4 said:
Thanks Beerrific! I'm in North Fulton, so I get the wonderful Atlanta city water. I really think spending $200 on an under-sink RO system and a few bags of salts is the way to go. While I would like to know what's in the water here, it's probably not going to be easy to get the information. I imagine a water report will set me back $100 just to find out my water isn't ideal for brewing the styles I want to brew. Between beer, drinking water, and cooking water, I'd get my money's worth from an RO system. Since I brew away from home, I'll just fill my 10-gal Gott mash/sparge tun from the tap and take it with me. :)

I think it would actually only cost you less than $20.
http://www.wardlab.com/ Test W-6 would work.

Back