Over night color change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFalex

Reaction score
So, I brewed a double ipa two weeks ago. It spent two weeks in primary, and I transferred it to the secondary two days ago. When I did the transfer it was a nice amber color. Now two days later, it's very dark. like porter dark. Any idea why its color would change like that? I'm just curious, I'm totally gonna rdwhahb.

Thoughts?

Small stuff settling out makes the beer look darker in the carboy. Pull a sample and you'll get a better idea of the actual color.

I would agree. Most beer will change color over time, often becoming darker as they clarify. As long as the SRM is w/in range of the style I wouldn't worry much about it.

Yep, suspended yeast and anything else in suspension will reflect light making the beer look lighter. It will darken as the stuff settles out. It will generally get clearer and darker over time.

It is amazing how much darker the beer looks in a carboy once the yeast settles out of it, than before it settles. I am amazed everytime when I see the beer flowing through the racking cane when I transfer. It is always alot lighter than I thought.

Back