Making Whiskey... ? (beer reminiscent of whiskey)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfocus

Reaction score
Now, before anyone gets all up in my face, I'm not trying to make hooch OR going to distill this. I'm trying to make something that tastes good and is drinkable.

I'm thinking about (not sure I'll go through with it, like most ideas that come to me when I'm drunk, this may not be feasible) this and needed some help. I'm already planning on filtering it with activated carbon and adding some oak chips.

I was wondering if anyone who has experience with barley wines or other big brews and those experienced with rye would be willing to answer a few questions.

I've made a pretty good barleywine in my day, but never used oak cubes, though I'm thinking about doing it soon. I've also used rye, but I don't think you get the same effect with rye in brewing as you do in distilling.

Ok...here is my Experience...through an....um....Friend.
Corn whiskey strait from the still is very much like everclear.
after 60 days in a 3 ltr oak barrel (From 1000 Oaks) it's very good.
I think that you would do yourself well to age on oak that is pre-soaked in whiskey. I would try soaking in just enough whiskey to cover the chips and then actually adding all the whiskey AND Chips to your secondary. I don't think that the beer will have enough alcohol to extract some of the vanalin from the oak, so I think that you will actually NEED the whiskey flavor from the whiskey.
Maybe you could do a quick extract 3 gallon batch of light hoped...light malt beer, age 1/2 bottle 1/2; to familiarize yourself with the added tastes of the oak and whiskey. Then you could hit the Barley wine or the Rye scene.

You might want to take a look at this kit from Midwest. We made it with Woodford Reserve and it came out very tasty.

Bourbon Barrel Old Ale w/Munton’s 6 gm dry yeast
Price: $35.95
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours
Catalog Nbr: 315
Product Description:
Bourbon Barrel Old Ale. Simulate the Bourbon cask experience without having to make 55 gallons. This British style refers in part to the strength of the beer as well as the maturation period associated with it. Vanilla, oak and bourbon notes dominate the flavor profile. Recommended aging time 6-12 months. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Amber liquid malt extract, 3.3 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Brown Malt, 8 oz. Crystal 50-60°L, 8 oz. Wheat, 4 oz. Aromatic, 4 oz. Chocolate specialty grains, 1 oz. Northern Brewer, 2 oz. Glacier, 2 oz. Tradition hops, priming sugar, 2 oz. American Oak Cubes, muslin bag, and yeast. Updated 2008 catalog price.

Back