Mt Hood Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdewitt

Reaction score
Hello,

I just picked up a pound of Mt Hood Hops for $11.00. Now I need to figure out what to do with them. I was hoping to brew a Bohemian Pilsner next. Are these hops appropriate for the style. If not, what would you reccomend for a lager with these? What else can I do, I have a pound???!!!

Thanks,
Tom
:mug:

Mt. Hood are genetically derived from the German Hallertau family. You can use them anywhere those hops might be used, certainly in any lager. They also work nicely for flavor and aroma in many ales if you want a mild spicy/herbal hop note. A Bohemian pils by definition would typically use Czech hops like Saaz but with Mt. Hood it would still be a really good beer.

If you like IPA's google "Denny Conn's Rye IPA recipe" It is a great recipe that uses Mt. Hood (and columbus). I wished I had used rice hulls with that one !

Also, I use Mt. Hood in wiezens with good results.

Have even done a pale ale with it (among other hops.)

I too came into a quantity deal last year on Mt. Hoods....:mug:

Rye beers go great with Mt.Hood. Also I think anything that has a stronger malt focus focus like Reds, Weizens, or Browns

You can do all the above and get good results. It is a nice compliment to big northwest IPA hops-adds a smooth and slightly spicy character. My homebrew crew did a single malt/single hop (SMaSH) experiment. Pale Ale Malt and American Ale II yeast. The Mount Hood won against cascade, simcoe, amarillo and chinook.

Troegs uses Mt Hood in their Perpetual IPA, both in the boil and hopback to good effect. I oftentimes toss an oz into my ales near the end of the boil to add that extra noble-hop type character in there. I also use it as my main hop in my 'for-everyone-else' yellow beers. 'Tis why I always keep an ample stash of it in my hop freezer.

Back