cherry flavoring or frozen tart cherries.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwellbball

Reaction score
I have a decision to make. I have a bottle of cherry flavoring and a pouund of frozen tart cherries. Which should I use to flavor my sorghum based beer? Its a simple recipe for a friend.

6.6 lbs srghum syrup
.5oz summit (60 min.)
.5 willemette (10 min.)

Safale 5

I have made a similar recipe before. I just wanted to add some cherry flavor. I was hoping for a cherry wheat type profile for the flavoring. Any suggestions would be appreiated.

I have a decision to make. I have a bottle of cherry flavoring and a pouund of frozen tart cherries. Which should I use to flavor my sorghum based beer? Its a simple recipe for a friend.

6.6 lbs srghum syrup
.5oz summit (60 min.)
.5 willemette (10 min.)

Safale 5

I have made a similar recipe before. I just wanted to add some cherry flavor. I was hoping for a cherry wheat type profile for the flavoring. Any suggestions would be appreiated.

I think that if you want the cherry flavor to come through from the actual cherries that you are going to need more than a pound. You could try a mixture of both. Add the frozen cherries to the secondary for a week or so. When you bottle it give it a quick taste and maybe add the artificial flavoring to add a little depth to the actual cherries until you get a flavor that you like.

I think that if you want the cherry flavor to come through from the actual cherries that you are going to need more than a pound. You could try a mixture of both. Add the frozen cherries to the secondary for a week or so. When you bottle it give it a quick taste and maybe add the artificial flavoring to add a little depth to the actual cherries until you get a flavor that you like.

When people say "add the blah blah blah to the secondary whatever" are they just dropping them in directly or are they being steeped in nylon, mesh, or a grain bag of some kind?

When people say "add the blah blah blah to the secondary whatever" are they just dropping them in directly or are they being steeped in nylon, mesh, or a grain bag of some kind?

If I am using frozen fruit then I pretty much thaw it, mash it up real good and add them.

I just add them directly.

Also, realize that one of the options is going to increase your ABV fairly significantly. I would base your decision on that more than anything else.

Also, 1lb will be recognizeable, but faint. 2lbs is more standard and will be the bulk of the taste.

I just add them directly.

Also, realize that one of the options is going to increase your ABV fairly significantly. I would base your decision on that more than anything else.

Also, 1lb will be recognizeable, but faint. 2lbs is more standard and will be the bulk of the taste.

I forgot to mention the added sugars that will increase the ABV and possibly dry out the finished product.

Thanks folks. I think I will use a combination of the two. The pound of tart and some of the liquid flavoring. I will repost when I sample it.

Thanks folks. I think I will use a combination of the two. The pound of tart and some of the liquid flavoring. I will repost when I sample it.

Add the pound, and then taste it. If you think it needs more, add some flavor.

Cherry is one of the most contentious tastes in beer, people love and hate it. Find out which you are before you make it too cherry-esque.

Back