Is it a pilsner? Is it an ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threeeight

Reaction score
So, a while back, I mentioned that I was thinking about brewing something to share with my folks, and asked what they liked, they said "we really enjoyed the pilsners we drank while we were in Germany."

Of course this got me looking into pilsner recipes, and of course I realized that a pilsner is a lager style beer...however, I don't have the stuff I need to lager, and I don't have the cash to get the stuff.

So I decided that an experiment may be in order. I asked around, got a few recommendations (thanks, HBT'ers) and decided that since I can't lager, I'll try for an ale that's clean and crisp, and as close as I can get to the pilsner style while still fermenting in the 62-65F range.

The recipe is below. I'll take all the input I can get, as I probably won't be brewing this for a couple weeks.

6.5 LB Pilsner liquid extract (90 minute boil)
1 oz Saaz (60 minutes)
1 oz Saaz (30 minutes)
1 oz Saaz (10 minutes)

2 vials WPL001 (California Ale)

Estimated OG: 1.047
Estimated SG: 1.011
Estimated ABV: 4.7
Estimated IBU: 28.7
Estimated color: 4.2 SRM

I'll primary it for 7-10 days, secondary it for 14-21, and do my damndest to keep it in the low 60s the whole time.

Whaddya think?

Looks like a good place to start. I have also felt your pain. SWMBO loves a beer brewed here locally. The bottle and packaging says its a true pilsner style beer. It looks like a pilsner, tastes like a pilsner, must be a pilsner right???

After explaining to her why I couldn't make it for her until I shell out some more $ and she gave up more precious space in the basement for lagering gear, I decided to check their website and thats where they have it listed as a blonde ale. So I did what any red blooded homebrewing american would do - I sent a WTF?!? email to the brewer. She was nice enough to email me back with a 5gallon batch recipe and sure enough, its an ALE.

Your recipe looks similar, I am sure it will turn out great. Maybe consider a Kolsch or an Alt yeast for a crisper finish?

looks good i think you will love that yeast. i might do a starter ratehr then pitch 2 vials cost less :) but thats up to you. just remember if you wanna ferment low yeast activity will heat the wort up a tad.

with those temps i would use german ale yeast, wlp029 i think it is.

It isn't uncommon to throw an ale yeast on a lager recipe and just ferment it much colder than you normally would.

You do have to stay within the guidelines for temps for the ale yeast, but a high 50's ferment will do wonders.

Back