fermenting odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatonRW

Reaction score
I just started a cherry and a blueberry wine on 7/2/13 they are both fermenting vigorously. My question is I've been reading some of these posts and they talk about their wines smelling good while fermenting is it supposed to smell good because mine doesn't smell like blueberries or cherries it actually kinda smells bad. well not necessarily bad just kinda pungent.

my blueberry wine is like 3 or so months along and my whole house smelled pretty pungent. But it's turning out good, so I doubt it's anything to be worried about. I am pretty new, but I recall thinking the same things and worrying, but it turned out okay.

ok i was thinking my strawberry didnt smell so good to begin with either but its been a while since I made any wine so I thought I would ask.

I am no expert either, but yeasts can give off some bad odors from time to time...lots of it depends on temperature and available nutrients(or lack of) during fermentation.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Back