My dial thermometers are trash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
I bought 2 thermometers from Midwest I've used the twice and they both failed. The one in my MLT (converted sanke) sticks and wont read accurate and the one in my HLT (converted sanke) The needle FELL OFF! I've contacted midwest but I don't have a recipt....who knows.....
I would like to switch to digital. What would work best in converted kegs?

I've had a lot of problems with thermometers. Even my lab thermometer is off! After extensive testing of all of them, I have only two that always hit the mark exactly.

They are two identical meat thermometers that I bought at the same time from Walmart.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible,
Which ones are they? Model/photo? Thanks - Dwain

I can't find them on the Walmart website.

They are made by acurite.

I can't recommend them, heck, I may have just got lucky, but both agree with eachother absolutely, and as far as I can tell are accurate compared to all the others.

thermo1.jpg

I use 2x blichmann and 2x waterproof instant digital. They're all calibrated but can be adjusted if needed, which I should probably do soon.

The digitals are great since I can dunk them into the mash for a few seconds and not worry.

Gnome, I had one of those a long time ago. I didn't like it because of the big jumps in temp. Not bad for a HLT, but not my favorite choice for taking mash temps.

I'll speak for the Thermapen. I love mine. Its accurate and FAST. I do a lot of cooking, so it was a simple choice. Honestly, I dont know why I didn't get one sooner. If you don't cook, the Thermapen might be a little steep for just a brewing thermometer though.

Gents,

I think the OP is looking for Thermometers to attach to his HLT and MLT through 1/2" couplers he either has welded or attached to the vessels.

Hammer,

I have not heard many complaints about the Blichman's but the one I would choose is the Tel Tru GT-300R. They will set you back about $35 but they are calibratable and extremely relaible. I have two of them on my BBQ Smoker for about 5 to 6 years now. I calibrate them from time to time against my Thermapen and they have just kept working. Better yet they are made in the USA.

Back Connect Large Industrial Thermometers

3410.jpg

I have gotten some real good deals on thermo's on E-bay . Just search bi metal thermometers I got this one for 29$ shipped
the thermo can be calibrated and it huge 5 inch dial I can even see the numbers
IMG_04192.JPG

dial is adjustable . Wholesale they are around 90$
IMG_0418.JPG

Back