Wort coming out of mash tun supposed to be so cloudy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olddog

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm on my 2nd all grain batch (BierMuncher's Cream of Three crops and my wort is very cloudy, like my first batch. All the pictures I see of all grain brewing the wort is clear but mine is extremely cloudy. Like milky cloudy. After awhile it clears on top but the lower 2/3's of the kettle is cloudy.

Help! :drunk:

Yes I do and it stays cloudy all the way until it's fully drained. Just finished with the sparge and the gravity is very low again also (1.028 before I correct for temp).

What are you using to filter the grain? SS Braid? Manifold? False Bottom? It could possibly be the problem, i.e. by letting too many grain pieces through.

SS braid and there is no grain pieces in my kettle. It's like the cloudiness is caused by flour like particles that are small enough to get through the filter.

How deep is the grain bed? A shallow bed doesn't trap the fine particles very well, even with vorlauffing. The braid keeps the big stuff out and the big stuff keeps the flour out.

Well, it's a 10 gallon round cooler from Home Depot and the grain fills it almost halfway up with a 5 gallon batch.

I'm starting to think I am missing my temperatures and not getting conversion, could that be the cause of my problems? (Using a cheap thermometer.)

well, when it runs 'clear', its clear of 'grain bits'...not necessarily 'un cloudy'.

i get a hazy sparge on some grain bills but the end result is still clear.

Hey everyone, I'm on my 2nd all grain batch (BierMuncher's Cream of Three crops and my wort is very cloudy, like my first batch. All the pictures I see of all grain brewing the wort is clear but mine is extremely cloudy. Like milky cloudy. After awhile it clears on top but the lower 2/3's of the kettle is cloudy.

Help! :drunk:

When I run off from my Tun I get cloudy wort. You'll wind up with cloudy wort either way. Of course this is after you recycle your wort in the tun to make sure grains are being properly utilized as a filter, rather than being dumped out with wort. Also, I use a false bottom CPVC system compared to your method. I never got into the braided idea.

Remember, the proteins are still in the wort before you boil with the irish moss and gypsum!

SG might be off due to not a proper conversion happening maybe? Whats the grain temp at and strike temp at?

Back