dry graining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cross eyed

Reaction score
can or has anyone ever use grains in the secondary fermenter like hops (dry hopping) to add for an example more chocolate note to a porter

No, what I've done is steep the additional grains in a small amount of water (less than a quart per pound) for 45 minutes and add the wort to the secondary. For my current barley wine, I actually decocted some caramel to darken the brew and add a little sweetness.

thanks for the response, I'll try that have a porter that is lacking the chocolat note, how much grain did you use per 5 gallons , I 'am brewing 11 gallon batches all grain

David 42 if you are ever in vancouver wa give me a call for an ale session an check out my new 15gallon stainless steel brewing system .Cross eyed

For an 11 gallon batch I'd use a pound of chocolate malt total. Try 1/2 lb at this point. As several people have pointed out on other threads, this is more of a cocoa powder flavor than chocolate. A little lactose (about a gram per pint) also helps bring the flavor out.

Thanks for the invite. It's a bit of a trip for me, just getting to Steinbart's for Brew Crew meetings is two hours.

Latest posts

Back